Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my MBP early 2011 support an upgrade of 8gb RAM and 500 gb SSD

I am contemplating upgrading my MBP 2011 to 8gb RAM and 500gb SSD. Buying a new laptop is too expensive for me at the moment, and I want to juice my MBP to the maximum. My current specs are 4 gb RAM and 320 gb 5400 rpm drive.

The upgrade is a heavy investment and I would like to hear from the others who have upgraded their computers and if there were any niggling issues. Which SSD would be the best one for the MBP and other recommendations?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 4:59 AM

2 replies

Aug 2, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Aditi Mallick

All 2011 MBPs will support up to 16 GB RAM. I have that much installed in mine, but 8 G RAM should be ample. The best sources of Mac compatible RAM are OWC and Crucial.

At this time I can only recommend OWC and Crucial SSDs. There have been problems reported by some users with Samsung 850 EVO models. I have Crucial SSDs installed in my 2011 MBPs and they are operating satisfactorily. Make certain that you have the latest firmware installed and you should be OK.

Ciao.

Will my MBP early 2011 support an upgrade of 8gb RAM and 500 gb SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.