Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I own a IMAC (20-INCH MID 2007) -- i believe i have 1GB memory. does that compare with the 256G i can get today with new Mac? B

I own a IMAC (20-INCH MID 2007) -- i believe i have 1GB memory. does that compare with the 256G i can get today with new Mac?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 5:10 AM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2015 7:01 AM in response to PDBmac

You also appear to be interchanging random access memory (RAM) with disk storage. Both are now measured in GB but are two different things. No current Mac can handle 256GB of RAM but many have that much (or more) in storage.

Your 1GB must be RAM as the very first iMacs shipped with 4GB disk storage. This article may help:

http://www.tucows.com/article/2052

Aug 2, 2015 8:44 AM in response to PDBmac

PDBmac wrote:

I own a IMAC (20-INCH MID 2007) -- i believe i have 1GB memory. does that compare with the 256G i can get today with new Mac?

PDBmac,

You are comparing RAM (your current 1GB) to Storage on a new Mac. Your current iMac has 1GB of RAM, the minimum sold on iMacs now is 8GB. Regarding storage, current iMacs can have up to 3TB of storage.

I own a IMAC (20-INCH MID 2007) -- i believe i have 1GB memory. does that compare with the 256G i can get today with new Mac? B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.