Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

run videos on low VRam mac

Hello I have a iBook g3 clamshell indigo running tiger and I was wondering how I could run videos on quick time or any other video veiwer the videos Lag can some one tell me how to make the videos lag less thanks

iBook clamshell indigo-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4), also has 9.2.2

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 6:15 AM

9 replies

Aug 2, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Knuckles2001

Knuckles

I have a PB Pismo (G3/500, 512MB RAM). I cannot view H.264 encoded video without BBoD lags at all, online or locally - this apparently is due to H.264 addressing Intel processor features.

I must:

• LEGALLY obtain video (MP4 or FLV)
  • convert to MOV - using a converter app ( I use FLV Crunch* )
    • Apple MPEG4 Decompressor, 426 x 240, Millions
    • AAC, Stereo, 48.000 kHz

* FLV Crunch is freeware utilizing the open source engine FFmpeg - http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html

I am 90% sure I downloaded it from cnet

There are many video conversion tools available. I have not investigated any others because FLV Crunch does the trick nicely for me.

WARNING: Take EXTREME care in downloading apps from anywhere outside the Mac App Store, where legacy OS X support is sparse

ÇÇÇ

Aug 2, 2015 12:55 PM in response to BDAqua

Howdy BDAqua

I have had poor experience with this version of VLC.app - just downloaded fresh PPC 0.9.10 - same bad experience

• opening and playing a MOV that plays fine in QT Player Pro 7.6.4
    • no video
    • yes audio
    • crash the app
      User uploaded file
  • freshly obtained MP4 - H.264 encoded
    • no video
    • yes audio
    • crash the app
      User uploaded file

Such is life...

buenos tardes

ÇÇÇ

Aug 4, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Knuckles2001

What is " it " that gives you an error? FLV Crunch? QT?

There are few FLV Crunch(FLV.C) "settings" and none that would cause errors. Report exactly the steps you are taking. Details are important. Start with where you obtained FLV Crunch and the version number. Include the source of your MP4 (h.264 encoded) movie.

In the meantime, read the ENTIRE FLV.C "Help" [menu] file - this is 'homework' that will give your memory a reference point for any question may arise later

My WorkFlow is very simple:

With FLV Crunch open > Preferences ( ⌘ , ) - ONE time Settings

• Default format: .mov (Quicktime)
  • Destination Folder: convertedƒolder
  • When done converting: check the boxes you wish
  • nothing else on this pane
  • QUIT

Actions

• legally obtain movie(s) in MP4 (h.264) format - OR - FLV (FLashVideo) format to some 'temporary holding' folder
  • Select the movie file and inspect its "Dimensions" & remember or record them (e.g., 1280x720)

you will "scale" the dimensions down to a reasonable size, maintaining the "aspect ratio" in FLV.C

• Drag & Drop the file onto FLV.C icon (you can drop a "batch" of selected files - IF they are all the same aspect ratio - OR - if they all are already at Target resolution(s) )

action will open FLV.C with the file(s) in the "Source files" queue

• change Frames per second: setting to " 15 " (this sounds low, but you will never notice the difference when viewing)
  • if necessary, change TARGET Resolution setting (default* is always Keep original value box checked)
    • For HD aspect ratio = 426x240
    • For NTSC aspect ratio = 320x240
    • *IF the source dimensions are already matching the above, leave the box checked
  • Click [Start] and wait for the the "when done converting" alert(s) you have chosen in Prefs
  • Quit
  • Double click your converted file and QT will open it**
  • Trash the MP4 file(s) > EMPTY Trash

**SOMETIMES, if source dimensions are not standard aspect ratio, the converted movies will also be "off" - it does not seem to affect the performance noticeably.

I am able to view these converted file in QT Player Pro 7.6.4 (PPC) - FULL Screen - with no issues whatsoever

I have converted 100s of movies over many 100s of hours conversion time and have yet to receive an error of any kind.

run videos on low VRam mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.