Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition for Windows and storage

I have MacBook Pro installed with Mac OS X. I want to install Windows 8.1 and also have a separate partition for storing files for both OS possible or atleast for Windows alone. (100 GB for Mac, 150 GB for Windows and 250 for storage)

I'm writing the ways I tried (didn't worked).

Firstly I made bootable USB drive using Boot Camp. Partitioned using disk utitlity for Windows (150 GB), storage (250 GB). Restarted and went to Boot menu (by pressing option button before booting). Chose Windows (USB), tried to install in a partition. It showed an error like "MBR table is not in this volume." (not exact but similar to this)

Then.. to install using boot camp itself, it requires the disk with Mac to be in a single partition. Hence made so and proceeded. Divided as 100 GB for Mac and 400 GB for Windows. While installing windows, I tried to separate the windows partition into two. But I can only make 250 GB as unallocated. With that, I installed windows. Now, Mac Disk utility is showing 100 GB for mac and 400 GB for Windows. But windows is showing 100 GB for mac (actually 3 paritions with ~93 GB, 200 MB and 620 MB each), 150 GB for windows and 221 GB as unallocated. When I tried to make that unallocated as simple volume, it warns "If you perform this process, you will not be able to start installed OS from any volume on the disk."

What should I do now?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 4:55 AM

1 reply

Partition for Windows and storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.