Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get text boxes to print correctly in landscape orientation

I designed a document in Pages that includes text boxes on top of a table. On the screen, it looks perfect in landscape OR portrait orientation. When I send the document to my HP 1025nw color laser printer, the text boxes do not orient correctly; the text is 90 degrees off, and the boxes are no longer the right size. When I "print" the document to save as a PDF, it looks perfect on the screen (in "Preview", but when I print the PDF, the text boxes are still not oriented correctly.

I made a similar document, with text boxes overlaid on a table, in PORTRAIT orientation, and it prints fine. What I see is what I get. I don't even have to turn it into a PDF to get it to print correctly.

Why is WYSIWYG not working in landscape orientation???? Is there a bug fix coming for this? I tried to create my document in Numbers with text boxes on top of the columns & rows, and when printed, some of the boxes oriented correctly while others turned 90 degrees, even though they all looked correct on the screen.

This is exasperating. I'm just trying to print a little "weekly schedule" document for myself. Is landscape orientation too much to ask for?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 5:57 AM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2015 7:33 AM in response to MusicalManda

Hi Manda,

I have asked the Hosts to move your question to the Numbers for Mac forum.

If your question is moved to the Numbers for Mac forum, there are many Applescript gurus who will come to assist you.

For example, see SGIII's Applescript in this User Tip for rotating Text Boxes in Numbers:

Rotate cell contents in Numbers 3: Workaround

Regards,

Ian.

Edit: I can't find a way to contact the Hosts. Maybe we just wait.

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 2, 2015 8:00 AM in response to MusicalManda

MusicalManda wrote:

I designed a document in Pages that includes text boxes on top of a table. On the screen, it looks perfect in landscape OR portrait orientation. When I send the document to my HP 1025nw color laser printer, the text boxes do not orient correctly; the text is 90 degrees off, and the boxes are no longer the right size. When I "print" the document to save as a PDF, it looks perfect on the screen (in "Preview", but when I print the PDF, the text boxes are still not oriented correctly.

Hi Manda,

This could be a HP 1025nw printer driver settings problem. To test that (assuming you haven't already) try printing reasonable complicated documents in landscape from apps other than Numbers or Pages.

SG

Aug 2, 2015 1:33 PM in response to SGIII

I printed a landscape document containing a table in Pages, and it printed fine. Table + Text box... not so hot.

In the spirit of "workaround", I tried opening the PDF version of my document in "Preview". It defaulted to the landscape orientation in which I saved it. I rotated the image 90 degrees (portrait, but all text facing a long edge), then printed... the text boxes look correct. I don't know WHY this worked, but I'm glad to have found a way around the issue for now.

I will have to try this with the Numbers version...

Thanks for your input, guys!!

~Amanda

Aug 2, 2015 3:40 PM in response to MusicalManda

Glad you've found a workaround. I'm guessing this is more related to your printer than to Numbers or any other app. You might try double-checking that you have the most current driver. Also, resetting the printer cache sometimes helps: that probably involves something simple like unplugging, waiting a minute, then holding down the "x" button while plugging it back in and turning it on.

how do i get text boxes to print correctly in landscape orientation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.