Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"You can't open the application "iTunes.app" because it is not supported on this type of Mac."

I have recently had to reinstall OS X 10.10.4 after a software issue that I couldn't seem to resolve using Time Machine to retrieve the files. Seems drastic I know. I have now used Migration Assistant to get my files back, and the issue is resolved.

However, my iTunes application looks like this:

User uploaded file

Trying to open the app I get this message ("You can't open the application "iTunes.app" because it is not supported on this type of Mac."):

User uploaded file

Before my reinstall of OS X, I was running OS X 10.10.4 and iTunes 12.2.1 without issue.

> I have tried downloading iTunes from https://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/

but I get this message ("iTunes12.2.1.dmg" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash").

User uploaded file

I have tried downloading it from both Chrome and Safari with no luck. I've also downloaded iTunes12.1.dmg (from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ - not the UK), but get the same file "is damaged" issue.

I've tried to remove iTunes, but it won't let me, saying that iTunes is needed by the OS.

Any thoughts? Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 7:38 AM

1 reply

Aug 2, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Alilynx

Okay, the problem with iTunes not opening was sorted by deleting it and reinstalling it. I got to the Info panel for the app and made it read and write for all, at which point I could move it to the trash.

I sorted the second issue with it not opening any .dmg files (turned out ALL dmg files I tried, including other software didn't work) by going to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General... and changing the Allow apps downloaded from: to 'Anywhere'. Interestingly, Apple.com's iTunes file doesn't seem to work when the 'Mac App Store and identified developers' is selected.

"You can't open the application "iTunes.app" because it is not supported on this type of Mac."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.