Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touchpad Issue, cursor not responding, and no click detected

Hello,

Few days ago, after updated my Macbook Pro from :

* Mac EFI Security Update 2015-001

* Itunes 12.2.1

When i resume my macbook from sleep states.. my touchpad doesn't respond anymore. (i have a password screen, i couldn't move my cursor from here).

So i force boot the mac holding power. Even from here at the Login screen the cursor is stuck on top left (no touch detection, no click).

I did try to login on "Guest" account : it doesn't fixe

I did try to reboot on "safe mode", holding "Shift key" : it doesn't fixe

I did try to reset by holding "CMD+Option+R+P" on startup : it doesn't fixe

If i plug a wire mouse, on my mac, it does respond. keyboard is fine too.

I'm wondering if its a software issue or hardware issue?

because i read few of topics with that "cursor stuck on top left" / "trackpad doesn't respond" but they were from 2010-2012 issues

and most of them are not solved, or it was like batterie issue.

In my case it the touchpad.

please any advises ?

Best Regards/

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mac EFI Security Update 2015-001

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 6:43 AM

3 replies

Aug 5, 2015 10:57 PM in response to Jason L

Hello Jason,

I did try those different steps according to the link you provided :

Try disconnecting the MagSafe connector from the computer and check the trackpad function. If the trackpad becomes responsive again, improper grounding may be the issue.

It doesn't solve the issue. I restarted the computer plugged, and also unplugged. it still stuck on top left.

If a two-prong AC plug is being used with the power adapter, try using the three-prong power cable that shipped with your computer and plug it into a grounded outlet.

If the issue persists, make sure the third prong is present and do not use an adapter to enable the three-prong adapter to be used in a two-prong outlet. Note that the ground in the three-prong outlet may not be connected. This is common in older homes or buildings with replaced outlets. In these situations, the three-prong power cable will not improve trackpad responsiveness.

I'm using three-pong power cable, delivery in the box. (France AC power) with grounded outlet. I also tried to plug the AC from different part of the house, and also friend houses. It doesn't changed the issue.

If a grounded outlet is not available, rest your palm on the palm rest when using the trackpad. This should enable the trackpad to function properly.

Finally i tried this steps. I feel some contact at top of fingers with some slight vibrations... but the touchpad still not respond.

I have once... after rebooting the computer during my tests to see if i can solve the issue... the touchpad works perfectly like "click respond" "the cursor also following..." everything were fine... but once it close the computer, or close the cover... i lose the touchpad again... its somehow very annoying.

Like having a laptop... but also need to buy an extra mouse... and have a support for the mouse make me really feel inconfortable.

should i return the product after just few month usage?

Touchpad Issue, cursor not responding, and no click detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.