Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set a blank password

I recently installed Yosemite on a partition on my hard drive and for some reason it will not allow me to set a blank password for user/admin accounts. I installed Yosemite on a partition about a week ago (deleted that partition and reinstalled on a new partition last night) and it allowed me to do so without trouble but now when I try to leave the "new password" field blank it says that a new password is required. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:39 AM

Resetting Password

1. Shut down comp & wait a few minutes.

2. Turn on & at the same time hold down the “command” & “R” keys.

3. Next screen….. In the menu bar click on Utilities (NOT OS X UTILITIES)

4. In the drop down menu, click on Terminal.

5. In the terminal pop up small window: Type exactly—> resetpassword Hit return key.

6. Reset password window will pop up. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset password. Make sure you select the admin account to reset the password.

7. You can ignore the “keychain” pop up windows, which is what I did. Does not affect anything.

You can do the keychain stuff at your leisure.

8. Quit out of everything & restart your computer.

9. Enter your new/reset password.

Once you are back on the desktop, you can go into System Preferences>Users & Groups and keep and/or set up auto login.

Also, check out the following User Tip: Reset the user password in OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 11:39 AM in response to kbond789

Resetting Password

1. Shut down comp & wait a few minutes.

2. Turn on & at the same time hold down the “command” & “R” keys.

3. Next screen….. In the menu bar click on Utilities (NOT OS X UTILITIES)

4. In the drop down menu, click on Terminal.

5. In the terminal pop up small window: Type exactly—> resetpassword Hit return key.

6. Reset password window will pop up. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset password. Make sure you select the admin account to reset the password.

7. You can ignore the “keychain” pop up windows, which is what I did. Does not affect anything.

You can do the keychain stuff at your leisure.

8. Quit out of everything & restart your computer.

9. Enter your new/reset password.

Once you are back on the desktop, you can go into System Preferences>Users & Groups and keep and/or set up auto login.

Also, check out the following User Tip: Reset the user password in OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite

User uploaded file

Aug 3, 2015 4:10 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Thank you for that information! I've gone through the steps but when I enter the resetpassword command the popup window only shows the partition that contains the Mavericks OS and does not show the partition that contains the Yosemite OS. Any idea on what I can do from there? When i try changing the password through the System Preferences it will not allow me to leave the new password field blank so that is not really an option.

Can't set a blank password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.