Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library is on a network drive. My computer crashed (HD dead). How do I get a new computer to point to the library. I did change the preferences to point to the net drive directory, but music doesn't show up in iTunes.

My iTunes library is on a network drive. My desktop crashed (hard drive is dead). I have a new computer and want to have it now point to my music on the network drive. I went into the advanced preferences and changed the directory to point to the network drive directory of my iTunes folder, but the music does not show up on my new laptop in iTunes. I do not want to move the music to my laptop, but keep it on the network drive.

Windows 8

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 6:36 AM

Changing the iTunes Media folder location setting in Edit > Preferences > Advanced does not affect where iTunes expects to find existing media in your library - this only determines the location of new additions to it. Hopefully you have the complete iTunes library on the network drive - not just the media files and folders. If so, hold down SHIFT as you start iTunes and when you see this prompt:

User uploaded file

click on Choose Library... and then navigate to and select the iTunes Library.itl file on the network drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 6:36 AM in response to rhamschnitzel

Changing the iTunes Media folder location setting in Edit > Preferences > Advanced does not affect where iTunes expects to find existing media in your library - this only determines the location of new additions to it. Hopefully you have the complete iTunes library on the network drive - not just the media files and folders. If so, hold down SHIFT as you start iTunes and when you see this prompt:

User uploaded file

click on Choose Library... and then navigate to and select the iTunes Library.itl file on the network drive.

iTunes library is on a network drive. My computer crashed (HD dead). How do I get a new computer to point to the library. I did change the preferences to point to the net drive directory, but music doesn't show up in iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.