Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 16 GB iPad Air how do I free up memory

I have a iPad Air which is 16 GB and the software is overloading the memory do any ideas how to improve the memory?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 8:55 AM

2 replies

Aug 2, 2015 3:48 PM in response to alanfromnewcastle-under-lyme

With iOS 8 it is recommended that you have 15-20% of the storage space on the device free. For a 16 GB device that is 2.4-3.2 GB free. For a 32 GB device that is 4.8-6.4 GB free. For a 64 GB device that is 9.6-12.8 GB free.

To get more free space you can delete photos and videos. If these were taken with the iPad you can delete them from the Camera Roll album in the Photos app. Go to the view of the Camera Roll that shows all the small thumbnails. Tap on Select. Select the items to delete. Then tap on the trash. This moves items to the Recently Deleted album where, if you do nothing else, they will remain for 30 days. Follow the same procedure to delete items from the Recently Deleted album.

If the photos and/or videos are in albums synced from your computer using iTunes you have to do another sync to delete them But before clicking on Sync be sure to deselect the unwanted albums in the Photos section of iTunes. Then when you click on Apply or Sync the deselected items will be removed from your iPad but they will remain on your computer.

Delete unused apps.

Delete files within apps that you no longer need on the iPad. You might back these up to your computer first.

I have a 16 GB iPad Air how do I free up memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.