Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding ripped movie to my iTunes

I'm doing a trial of Ripit - DVD ripping program to start the dreaded process of uploading all my families DVD's to streamable format. The first movie went fine and shows up in the Home Videos area of iTunes. I checked it on my apple TV and sure enough, it's there and it plays like a champ. Today, I've done another one and it shows up on in the finder list under movies but not in my iTunes Home Vid where the other one is. I did the same process (ripped, compressed etc..) and I can't get it into the Home Vid iTunes not matter what I do. I've dragged it into iTunes, gone to file/add to library and still nothing. It plays fine on my mac - just won't go in iTunes.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.....you guys rock !!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 8:46 AM

2 replies

Aug 5, 2015 10:23 AM in response to adamkrause2004

Hi Adam,

I'd say the first thing to do is try to figure out whether the problem here is coming from iTunes or from the DVD ripping software. So maybe we could start with looking at the second movie you ripped -- the one that won't import -- and see whether it's a playable file, in a format that iTunes supports. What's the file extension on this document? Can you open it with the built-in QuickTime player, or with another media app like the free VLC player?

If there seems to be something wrong with the file, then this forum probably isn't the best place to look for help -- but you might try ripping with a different app like Handbrake.

If the file looks okay, and it plays correctly in another app, and it's in a format that iTunes supports -- i.e. with a file extension .mov, .m4v or .mp4 -- then please post an update, with the steps you've taken to import it to iTunes without success. Good luck!

Adding ripped movie to my iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.