Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SoftwareUpdaterLauncher keeps iMac from shutting down

Since updating to 10.10.4, our computer hangs after closing out and before shutting down.

The SoftwareUpdater Launcher is apparently preventing full shut down (or restart). And it is frozen at that point. I am unable to quit it, or force quit it, or get access to it's preferences or anything.

The only thing I have been able to do is force shut down.

Meanwhile the app store, while claiming that I've downloaded and installed 10.10.4, also claims that I need to update again. However this requi

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 9:46 AM

1 reply

Aug 2, 2015 10:32 AM in response to David Robie

Let me restate the issue...

When ATTEMPTING to update to 10.10.4 via the update combo through the Apple support website, everything seemed to go along swimmingly until the restarts phase. Once everything else had been quit, I was left with a black screen except for the SoftwareUpdateLauncher toolbar at the top. After about 20 minutes of nothing, I attempted to access things within the drop down menu (Restart, Shutdown, Quit, Force quit ...). Nothing worked.

I was finally forced to give it a hard restart to unfreeze it.
Upon starting it back up, everything seemed to come back, although the iMac still claims to be running 10.10.2. Every since, whenever I attempt to restart or shut it down, we always go back to that black screen with the task bar, and then freeze.

SoftwareUpdaterLauncher keeps iMac from shutting down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.