Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine doesn't have backups of Documents folder

Hello. I recently purchased a Toshiba External Hard Drive to back up my Macbook Air with so that I could reinstall OSX and solve some issues my laptop has been having. I used Time Machine to back up all of my stuff to the external hard drive, which was called TOSHIBA EXT.

However, after the first backup finished, I noticed that my entire Documents folder was not in there. I'd go through this file path:

Finder --> under Devices is TOSHIBA EXT --> Backups.backupdb --> [My Name]'s Macbook Air --> lots of folders with names that are dates (like "2015-08-02-045837") and in each --> Macintosh HD --> Applications, Library, System, User Information, Users, opt

Nowhere in any of these folders can I find my Documents folder, wherein I keep almost all my important saved work. How can I get to those documents (mostly .doc's) to ensure that they are backed up? If I reinstall all my things without those documents I'll be completely screwed.

I think it has something to do with not being able to get to the Documents folder from Macintosh HD, but I don't know

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 10:22 AM

1 reply

Aug 2, 2015 10:36 AM in response to person-on-this-forum-that-has-a-question

Firstly you should try to avoid poking around in Time Machine backups via Finder. The folders have various permissions that will prevent you changing items, but the temptation to change permissions can cause you to damage the backup structure.

If you need to browse the backup content use the Apple user interface provided by the 'Enter Time machine' item in its own extras menu (it should be at the top right of the menubar).

Start by opening your Documents folder in Finder.

Select 'Enter Time Machine' from the Time Machine menu bar extra.

Now you can browse back into the history of those files. Click the arrows to jump to the last change for the selected item.

Time Machine only stores copies when a file changes - which is why many of your backups may not contain any changes for the Documents folder when browsing the backups folders in Finder. There should be an earlier backup folder that contains all the files.

Personally I do use Time Machine, however I also make a full bootable clone when updating a system, that way you can reboot the old OS & do not have to worry about what is excluded in Time Machine. The exclusions should be listed under the Time Machine Preferences when you click the options button. Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility or other apps can make a bootable clone if you have another volume to use.

Time Machine doesn't have backups of Documents folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.