Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade from Mac OS X 10.6.8 and still use Final cut pro version 6?

This is a simple yes or no answer, I think. Is it possible to upgrade from a 2008 iMac using Mac OS X 10.6.8 to the newest software (which is free) and still use Final cut pro version 6? The iMac is not running well - it's very slow and crashes constantly. The Mac OS X has a processor of 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 2GB 800 MHz DDR2SDRAM. The system is from 2008.

OR is there a way to use the apparently unsupported Final Cut Pro 6 software on a new MacBook Pro purchased in December. I am concerned that uploading the 6 Final Cut Pro discs will not work properly with a new computer. The Macbook Pro is my spouse's (as is the Final Cut Pro software).

We use both systems for work, but I rarely need to use Final Cut Pro at home.

Thank you!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Final Cut Pro 6 compatibility

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 10:03 AM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2015 10:24 AM in response to wilshire@

based on a previous discussion a day or two ago version 6 only runs on as high as 10.6.8.

You can use virtual machine software and purchases Snow Leopard Server and run that as a virtual machine on top of 10.10.

I would backup data and format the startup drive and then reinstall SL and Final Cut Pro 6.

Also repair the startup disk via Dis utility when booted from the install DV. Look for errors and note what the S.M.A.R.T. status is. If not Verified it is bad. The HD can still be bad and say Verified.

2 GB of RAM is really not enough for Yosemite. Even 4 GB is marginal

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum

How do I upgrade from Mac OS X 10.6.8 and still use Final cut pro version 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.