Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard typing by itself

Mcbook pro my keyboard is crazy

it keeps typing cccccccccccc

keyboard is not dirty it is clean

please help

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 7:52 AM

Hello there, skyisblue2015.

When seeing issues with build-in keyboard not functioning correctly on your MacBook Pro, the following Knowledge Base article provides some great troubleshooting steps:

One or more keys on the keyboard do not respond - Apple Support

Some keys don't work as expected

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. From the View menu, choose Speech.
  3. Click the Text to Speech tab.
  4. If "Speak selected text when the key is pressed" is enabled, the key or key combination set to speak text cannot be used for other purposes or used to type text--click Set Key and change it to a less-commonly used key combination (try to use modifier keys such as Shift, Command, Option, and Control). Or, disable the "Speak selected text when the key is pressed" option.
  5. Click the Accessibilty or Universal Access pane in System Preferences, then click the Keyboard tab.
  6. Make sure that Slow Keys is turned off. With Slow Keys on, you need to press a key for a longer period of time for it to be recognized.
  7. In the Accessibilty or Universal Access pane, click the Mouse tab, and make sure Mouse Keys is turned off. With Mouse Keys enabled, you cannot use the Numeric Keypad to enter numbers--instead the keypad moves the pointer (cursor). (There is an option to enable Mouse Keys with five presses of the Option key; you may want to turn that option off to avoid accidentally enabling it.) If Mouse Keys is enabled and you are using a keyboard with no numeric keypad or Num Lock function, see Unable to type while Mouse Keys is enabled in Mac OS X.
  8. If the function keys on the top row of the keyboard are not working as expected, see Mac OS X: How to change the behavior of function keys.
  9. If the issue persists, use Keyboard Viewer to help isolate the issue:
    1. Click the Language & Text pane (Mac OS X v10.6) or International pane (Mac OS X v10.5.8 or earlier) in System Preferences.
    2. Click the Input Sources tab (or Input Menu tab in Mac OS X 10.5.8 or earlier).
    3. Click the Keyboard & Character Viewer "On" checkbox to select it (click the Keyboard Viewer "On" checkbox in Mac OS X 10.5.8 or earlier).
    4. From the Input (flag) menu, choose Show Keyboard Viewer.
      User uploaded file
    5. If the keyboard is connected and detected by OS X, the keys you type will highlight in the Keyboard Viewer window. Open TextEdit (or any text application), and try to type something using the keys that were previously not responding to see if they highlight in Keyboard Viewer.
  10. Start from the Mac OS X Install Disc, choose Terminal from the Utilities menu and test the keys which were previously not working. If the keys work while started from the Install disc, then the keyboard itself is working correctly. Use How to troubleshoot a software issue to isolate the software issue that may be causing the keys to not respond.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 7:52 AM in response to skyisblue2015

Hello there, skyisblue2015.

When seeing issues with build-in keyboard not functioning correctly on your MacBook Pro, the following Knowledge Base article provides some great troubleshooting steps:

One or more keys on the keyboard do not respond - Apple Support

Some keys don't work as expected

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. From the View menu, choose Speech.
  3. Click the Text to Speech tab.
  4. If "Speak selected text when the key is pressed" is enabled, the key or key combination set to speak text cannot be used for other purposes or used to type text--click Set Key and change it to a less-commonly used key combination (try to use modifier keys such as Shift, Command, Option, and Control). Or, disable the "Speak selected text when the key is pressed" option.
  5. Click the Accessibilty or Universal Access pane in System Preferences, then click the Keyboard tab.
  6. Make sure that Slow Keys is turned off. With Slow Keys on, you need to press a key for a longer period of time for it to be recognized.
  7. In the Accessibilty or Universal Access pane, click the Mouse tab, and make sure Mouse Keys is turned off. With Mouse Keys enabled, you cannot use the Numeric Keypad to enter numbers--instead the keypad moves the pointer (cursor). (There is an option to enable Mouse Keys with five presses of the Option key; you may want to turn that option off to avoid accidentally enabling it.) If Mouse Keys is enabled and you are using a keyboard with no numeric keypad or Num Lock function, see Unable to type while Mouse Keys is enabled in Mac OS X.
  8. If the function keys on the top row of the keyboard are not working as expected, see Mac OS X: How to change the behavior of function keys.
  9. If the issue persists, use Keyboard Viewer to help isolate the issue:
    1. Click the Language & Text pane (Mac OS X v10.6) or International pane (Mac OS X v10.5.8 or earlier) in System Preferences.
    2. Click the Input Sources tab (or Input Menu tab in Mac OS X 10.5.8 or earlier).
    3. Click the Keyboard & Character Viewer "On" checkbox to select it (click the Keyboard Viewer "On" checkbox in Mac OS X 10.5.8 or earlier).
    4. From the Input (flag) menu, choose Show Keyboard Viewer.
      User uploaded file
    5. If the keyboard is connected and detected by OS X, the keys you type will highlight in the Keyboard Viewer window. Open TextEdit (or any text application), and try to type something using the keys that were previously not responding to see if they highlight in Keyboard Viewer.
  10. Start from the Mac OS X Install Disc, choose Terminal from the Utilities menu and test the keys which were previously not working. If the keys work while started from the Install disc, then the keyboard itself is working correctly. Use How to troubleshoot a software issue to isolate the software issue that may be causing the keys to not respond.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Aug 4, 2015 11:07 AM in response to pedro d

Unfortunately This did not resolve the issue . I did exactly as you said. When I see the Keyboard viewer I can see "C" is pressed down and keeps typing

then I play with it , It works for some time but again without even touching it the same issue happens. I can't use my Macbook pro

I have purchased this just a few months ago and hardly used it.

What other suggestions?

Thanks

Aug 5, 2015 1:49 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I contacted Apple, I had to go through a lot of pain of backup etc and went to Apple customer service.

They tell me the keyword has to be replaced with another one and as I purchased it just 5 months ago it is free of charge.

It will take 4 days , I can't use this for 4 days , imagine as I am using it for business this is so inconvenient.

Have been using windows since windows 95 a lot of PC but this is the first time in my life in 5 months a major repair is needed.

perhaps I am unlucky with apple but surely I am not happy and If I can discourage one person from buying I will.

This is too expensive and does not worth it. I also had problems like the system freezing etc...

I talked with apple if possible I want to change this with new one but they say it is not possible.

😠

keyboard typing by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.