Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing apple id from my father's to my own

So, I have be under my father's apple id ever since I got my ipod touch in high school. Now that I am in college, I want to get my own especially since now four out of five family members use apple products and so we're all under the same apple id. I keep only finding things for switching apple ids after someone has bought an unlocked phone of the internet or it was given to someone else etc... I'm just looking to switch my phone, my Macbook Air, and my ipad all onto my own Apple ID so we stop accidentally setting it up to where they get my pictures, contacts, text messages, facetime calls, and I get theirs. It's just a huge inconvenience and I just want my own so this stops happening. It's also eating up our iCloud storage. I read somewhere that I'd have to wait NINETY DAYS to do this after I log out of my dad's stuff on my phone. Are you serious? Please tell me there's another way around this. I cannot have my phone and laptop especially out of commission for three months. That's just unacceptable.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:20 AM

5 replies

Aug 2, 2015 2:22 PM in response to fwwjudan

Yes - and you will be able to make purchases and download at the time of purchase. You just cannot re-download past purchases (meaning you cannot download anything with a little cloud next to it). And then keep the other three things off as you said until the 90 days is up. So, you can create your new ID, sign it on to the device. Once the 90 days is up you can then turn on Automatic Downloads, Match, or Family Sharing and you can also download past purchases at that point.

And remember, you can always sync the device via iTunes to get past purchases on the device if you need to.

During that 90 day period you can sign your Dad's ID back onto the device and do all of the things discussed above.

Best of luck,

GB

Aug 2, 2015 11:32 AM in response to fwwjudan

Here is an article that explains how a device becomes "associated" with a specific Apple ID. If you do not have Automatic Downloads, iTunes Match, or Family Sharing turned on, and if you have not downloaded any past purchases in the last 90 days, then the device can be immediately associated with a new ID:

Manage your associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Aug 2, 2015 11:42 AM in response to gail from maine

I looked at my itunes account on my macbook and it says that my phone is still associated. I JUST turned off automatic downloads so I'll have to wait another 90 days for this to work, am I understanding that correctly? If I don't make any purchases on my phone and keep those three things off, I shouldn't have to wait another 90 days to do that? Also, if it does backfire on me, can I sign back into my dad's apple id account?

changing apple id from my father's to my own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.