Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to backup my iPhone but I have no storage.

I have to backup my phone but I have no storage on my iPhone or on my computer. I found this "delete backup" button and I wanted to know, if I click on it, does it delete previous backups only? Or does it delete everything off your phone? Also, after you click it, can you backup your phone after? Since I would be clicking the button to delete previous backups that take up my storage, I would need to backup my phone after since I haven't in two years and I'll hopefully be switching to an iPhone 6. Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 12:17 PM

If you're clicking on delete backup in iTunes, all it does is delete a previous backup of your device/s off of your computer hard drive. It does not touch anything on your phone.

If you're clicking on delete backup for an iCloud backup, then it'll delete a previous backup of your device/s off of your iCloud storage. It does not touch anything on your phone.

You're perfectly fine to try backing up your phone again, but it would require there to be enough computer storage or iCloud storage. So for the computer, delete stuff off the hard drive if you find yourself not having enough space. For iCloud, you may need to purchase additional storage.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 12:17 PM in response to julia_x

If you're clicking on delete backup in iTunes, all it does is delete a previous backup of your device/s off of your computer hard drive. It does not touch anything on your phone.

If you're clicking on delete backup for an iCloud backup, then it'll delete a previous backup of your device/s off of your iCloud storage. It does not touch anything on your phone.

You're perfectly fine to try backing up your phone again, but it would require there to be enough computer storage or iCloud storage. So for the computer, delete stuff off the hard drive if you find yourself not having enough space. For iCloud, you may need to purchase additional storage.

I need to backup my iPhone but I have no storage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.