Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 says Device Unknown

I have an iphone 4 and yesterday it shut down with 10% remaining. I put it on charge and it came up with a black screen and then the apple icon appeared. It alternated between the two screens for a good few hours. Strangely it came up with "Hello" in various languages. I swiped the screen and it then came up with "Device Unknown". Panicking i took it to my local Apple Store which were about as much use as a chocolate teapot. All they gave me was a telephone number for Apple Care Support Line. As you can guess that was pointless also. Got a stupid automated services which informed me cause i dont have a care package that i would have to spend yet another £25 just to get to speak to someone. Absolutely ridiculous with the amount of money Apple make yet they still hold people over a barrel to get yet more money out of them because they know thats the only way people may be able to get the phone fixed, total rip off.!!!!! Hoping that someone out there will be able to help .

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:26 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 11:18 PM in response to Frogchops

Hi! Try the recovery mode. Turn your device off, then plug it to your computer with the home button pressed. Keep the Home button pressed until you see the iTunes logo on the screen of your device. After that on your computer you should see the iTunes window saying your device needs to be restored to factory settings. Click on the restore button.

More info here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Iphone 4 says Device Unknown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.