Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All email available offline

I would like to know how to access all my email messages with Apple Mail app when offline with iOS 8.4. Without the use of a 3rd party app.

I need to have all my mail (every single message) stored locally. I have searched this and every forum under the sun with no luck. This use to be a setting "Number of messages you want to download" but it has gone missing.

Cheers

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 1:29 PM

if you setup your account as regular mail account it behaves precisely the way you want. That is why there is no switch anymore.

If you setup as exchange you will find setting that says "mail days to sync" in settings mail contacts and calendars when you click on the account.

Hotmail for example allows to choose me that feature.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Kal K

if you setup your account as regular mail account it behaves precisely the way you want. That is why there is no switch anymore.

If you setup as exchange you will find setting that says "mail days to sync" in settings mail contacts and calendars when you click on the account.

Hotmail for example allows to choose me that feature.

Aug 3, 2015 5:05 AM in response to gregory202

Thank you gregory202

This seems to work as how I described with one downside. It pops a message up on my other devices saying I have now lost continuity. And it did. Whatever I would do on my iPad was not be reflected on my other devices.

I have a .me account and logging in via iCloud is really how I need to do this so when jumping devices it is all the same.

Cheers

Aug 4, 2015 5:27 AM in response to Kal K

There must be something wrong - just like I said before there should be no restriction - especially by number. What folders are you referring to and if it is inbox - make an experiment for me. Send yourself email and when it loads, see if any disappear. If one does - what account are you using, exchange, imap, pop - who is your provider?

Aug 5, 2015 10:10 PM in response to gregory202

It's a .me account set up as imap.

I did the message test and everything behaves as it should. I attached a snapshot of my OSX mail bar so you can see the folder structure.

So you know there is about 30 more folders there you can't see. It can be 1 message to 500+ messages in any given folder. As the folders were being populated on my iPad they always maxed at 150 for the folders that have more than that.

Cheers

User uploaded file

Aug 7, 2015 11:13 PM in response to gregory202

Just ignore that. This was just a snapshot from my macbook to give you an idea of the folder structure. On my Mac is just locally stored archive.

Point being I have roughly 40 folders with messages ranging fro 1-500+ messages. I need all those on my iPad. It currently only allows max 150 for any given folder.

And just in case again. It's a .me account set-up as map in the iPad .

Cheers

Aug 8, 2015 4:53 AM in response to Kal K

Kal K wrote:

Just ignore that. This was just a snapshot from my macbook to give you an idea of the folder structure. On my Mac is just locally stored archive.

You can't ignore it - once you removed folders from icloud and stored them locally it is not going to sync by IMAP anymore. So if those folders do show up you only see them because of continuity and looks like continuity has limit of 150. You really want to use IMAP to do that.

1. To check what folders on the server to go to www.icloud.com and sign in. What you see in there is what suppose to be on ipad.

2. To move your folders back

https://www.hamilton.edu/its/rc/how-to-move-your-local-folders-into-your-imap-ac count

Aug 8, 2015 9:36 PM in response to gregory202

Yes I'm aware of that. I'm only concerned with the folders on the iCloud drive. I do not wish to access the archives. Sorry for not clarifying. Should have not used that but I was nowhere near the iPad at the time.

Anyway still need to resolve or find a work around for the 150 message cap on these folders.

Aug 11, 2015 10:19 PM in response to gregory202

Essentially yes.

Let's say I had my computer out on a plane. I could offline view any message that is on the iCloud drive because it also stores all those messages locally.

Now if I do that same thing offline with my iPad I can only view a handful of those same messages cause it does not store them locally. It does this to save space on your iPad of course. But I don't care about the space cause I need all my mail.

We are getting there 😉

Aug 12, 2015 5:39 AM in response to Kal K

The problem is that it stops being mail when you take it off IMAP server. So I am going to accentuate, you want to have it as mail keep it in mail. One of the posts above gives a link how to move folders. Don't forget the way to verify what is suppose to be available is to check icloud.com. Also you have to be online first to sync and only then you can access offline. If you make changes offline they will not be uploaded until you online. If you are offline and you see changes on other device they will disappear as soon as you leave same wifi network- cause that was continuity and not IMAP.

To be honest I am not sure we are getting there, but we certainly try. 😉

All email available offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.