Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport extreme 4th generation light off and whining noise

My 4th generation Airport Extreme (model A1354) stopped working. The indicator light is out, but when it is plugged in, it makes a whining noise. The internet connection is fine since I can plug in directly to the verizon modem and function. I tried holding the reset button in for more than 5 seconds but nothing changes. Does anyone know if the whining noise means I need to replace the battery? Or do I just need a new unit?

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:08 AM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2015 11:28 AM in response to wjtoutdoors

Normally, the "whining" or "high pitched" noise comes from the outboard power supply, although it may be difficult for you to tell where the sound is coming from.

Temporarily, disconnect and unplug the outboard power supply "brick" and move it to another room and then plug it in there to see if you hear the high pitched sound from the power supply.

If the sound is from the power supply "brick" that you are checking, it has failed and will need to be replaced. It might be worth the $20 gamble to order a replacement power supply to see that might get things going again. If the seller offers a refund if the device does not do what you want, then it would definitely be worth a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OEM-APPLE-AIRPORT-EXTREME-BASE-STATION-POWER-SU PPLY-AC-ADAPTER-A1202-/370810566512

However, if the power supply is quiet when you move it to another room to check it, then the "noise" must be coming from the AirPort Extreme itself. Unfortunately, repairs are not feasible on the AirPort Extreme.....and even they were, the cost would likely be more than a new unit.....so it is time to replace the older AirPort Extreme with a new router.

Aug 2, 2015 12:21 PM in response to wjtoutdoors

It might be worth a try if you have time and inclination but the "whining" noise is typically caused by failing capacitors in the power supply section of the AirPort Extreme.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that the typical useful life of a wireless router designed for home use, like the AirPort Extreme is on average, about 5 years. Your AirPort Extreme is anywhere from about 4 1/2 to 6 years old depending on when it was purchased.

Good luck if you want to give it a try.

airport extreme 4th generation light off and whining noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.