Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad brightness slider can go higher, how can we set it to stay there?

I am honestly amazed nobody has ever said anything about this before. But I own a iPad Mini (updated to whatever the latest software Apple says I need) and I assume all other iPads work the same. When you pull up from the bottom of the screen you bring up the utility section we all know and love, and this is where you see the brightness slider on the right. When you grab the slider and yank it all the way to the right, and HOLD it there, you will see the screen go brighter than ever - so bright that the pictures of the sun next to the slider actually light up white as well. Yet for some unbeknownst and annoying reason, the moment you let go of the slider it dims the screen slightly more and the sun icon isn't illuminated anymore.

How can I set it to the brightest setting possible that these iPads - clearly - are capable of doing (which is noticed just by holding the slider to the farthest right you possibly can before letting go)?? With all my Apple experience I assume it's impossible to access this - CLEARLY AVAILABLE - option, but I'm hoping someone here will prove my wrong. Thanks.

iPad Mini, iOS 8.4, Same on ALL iPads

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 1:44 PM

Do you have auto-brightness turned on?

10 replies

Aug 2, 2015 1:50 PM in response to deggie

Initially I did have auto-brightness turned on, so that's what I assumed was preventing it from letting me keep that 'sun' picture illuminated. Yet then I turned it off and the slider seems to act the exact same (even after restarting, and also it does the same thing while plugged in the charger - I tried that because I know some devices allow screens to go brighter while charging).

No matter what you can grab the slider and bring it as far to the right as possible, illuminating the sun image and making the screen brighter than ever, but once you let go of it the slider - it slides back to the left of the sun, dimming the screen slightly more than it's maximum brightness capability.

Aug 2, 2015 9:11 PM in response to elcpu

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly it still doesn't fill in the 'sun' picture to the sides of the brightness slider. No matter what I do I can only seem to get the sun icon to fill while holding the slider all the way to the right - but once you let go it wants to fight its way back and de-highlight the sun image :/

Aug 2, 2015 9:30 PM in response to RobDaBomb

Here is what I THINK you are experiencing. When you pull up the control center from the bottom, iOS automatically dims the display so that the control center stands out better when your messing with those settings. As you pull the slider to the right to brighten your screen, what you see is a demo of how bright that actually is going to be... like a preview. Once you let go of the slider the preview stops and the screen dims down so you can see control center better again. The sun icons are just telling you that yes, indeed you can't pull the slider any further to the right. It's just a little notification of sorts to tell you you have it to the max already. Once you let go of course you don't need this "notification" any more. Now the screen will still be dim in this state because you still have notification center pulled up. As soon as you dismiss control center, the screen will then be the brightness level that you had choosen as the dimmed state goes away because control center is no longer in view and doesn't need to stand out.

Let me know if this is what your experiencing and if this ansewers your question. I did indeed just test this on both my iphone 6+ and my iPad Air borth running the latest version of iOS 8.

Aug 3, 2015 2:14 AM in response to Jstuts5797

Jstuts5797, you are a genius. Thank you so very much. That is exactly what I'm experiencing, I even took a screenshot of the brightness set to max while viewing a picture (with the notification panel hidden) and then compared that to the same screenshot but with the panel up while also holding the slider all the way to the right -- they are exactly the same when it comes to brightness.

I own a MacBook Pro but this new iPad Mini is my first Apple touch device, so I'm still getting the hang of it as you can tell. I can't believe I didn't notice that! *face palms and says "D'hoh!" aloud*

Aug 3, 2015 2:01 PM in response to RobDaBomb

Hey there! Your very welcome! Glad I was able to help! No need to face palm lol. iOS is a different beast compared to OS X. They really don't make it apparent that that's what's going on when you play with that slider. My experience of the Apple world is almost completly on all the iOS versions. If I ever get into the OS X side of things you can bet I'll be on here with all kinds of crazy questions myself, lol. So really, no worries, just glad I could help! Feel free to ask me any other questions when it comes to iPads iPhones or iPods, I'd be glad to help the best that I can! With some time you'll be a pro at iOS I Promise! Also, Apple does have a GREAT iBook you can download for free to your iPad for iOS 8.4 that explains how everything works in detail. It's a great resource to have!

Aug 19, 2016 11:18 AM in response to Jstuts5797

NO that's not what's happening. And I'll tell you why I know that. When I pulled a slider all the way to the right the sun icon on the right lights up but you can also still see my background and get brightened up as well. as you slide the slider back-and-forth the background will light up or dim depending on which way you push the slider however when you push it all the way to the right and then let go the screen dims to dark to see anything in the sunlight.

iPad brightness slider can go higher, how can we set it to stay there?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.