Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud and Windows 10 compatibility issue

I just spent a few hours troubleshooting a 48 hour old install of Windows 10 onto an HP Probook 6470b. Long story short, even though everything had been fine, today upon boot I noticed iCloud Photos reported a pop-up stating it did not have permissions to access. After that, the Windows desktop and system tray kept refreshing every 2-3 seconds, and I had no control over the Start Menu button on Windows (nothing would happen even if the flashing stopped); and once the flashing did stop (though no idea why it stopped) I also could not launch the IE replacement "Edge," as it errored with an inability to register.

Running Windows sfc did not help.

From Task Manager, turning off iCloud caused the flashing to cease.

I also found if I turned off Wi-Fi and rebooted, the system would boot without the desktop refreshing, but as soon as I enabled Wi-Fi it began to flash again.

A repair of iCloud was of no use.

REMOVAL of iCloud cleared the issue; I am on the laptop now, with no noticeable problems.

iCloud was version 4.1.1.53. I cannot determine what the current version is, so I am not going to bother with it, but it appears, at least in my case, that iCloud's version is not compatible with Windows 10.

iPhone 6, Other OS, Verizon iPhone 6

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 1:02 PM

57 replies

Aug 23, 2017 1:24 PM in response to Rivergoat

I have an HP Specter 360 (2015). It is i7 with Solid State HD, which means it should be quite fast and it is. Back in May, 2017, there was a Windows update. Ever since, none of the browsers launch properly. I try using Edge, Chrome and Firefox alternatively. Chrome is the least functional. But Edge is not a **** of a lot better either. Each day, I end up re-starting the laptop 4-5 times. After each re-start, Edge and Firefox work for an hour or so. But not Chrome, which is my preferred browser.

By August 23, 2017, now iCloud does not work. All my contacts and pictures are only reachable thru iPhone and iPad, but not thru my PC.

I have taken the computer to Best Buy Geek Squad three times in three months. They are pulling their hair as well. They can't fix these issues. I am very frustrated and lost.

Is anyone at Microsoft listening? it seems MS has become too fat, dumb and insensitive because of their monopoly.

Can anyone help?

Aug 2, 2015 2:41 PM in response to Rivergoat

I just had this exact issue. I just built a new PC so at first I thought it was a hardware issue. After pulling my hair out for a couple of hours, I noticed that iCloud was using an unusual amount of CPU. I killed it from the task manager and everything went back to normal. My symptoms were exactly the same as yours - the desktop refreshes every few seconds. Since my PC is a desktop, I don't have WiFi, so I didn't notice anything there. It's pretty clear that iCloud is the problem.

Aug 2, 2015 3:40 PM in response to fatmanpeters

Yes, if I didn't add, this all began when the laptop switched over to a Microsoft log in instead of a local. I'm not even sure what transpired to alter that, as I don't remember allowing it. I did log into a Microsoft discussion page to go over Windows 10, perhaps that did it. When the laptop was in sleep mode (and I was working on the desktop) I heard it beep a notice of some kind, no idea if that was related.

Even after I was able to change the laptop back to a local account log in, the problem with iCloud remained until I removed it.

Apple and Windows not working well together.....

Aug 2, 2015 6:31 PM in response to fatmanpeters

Interesting theory/effort. Please feel free to post after it has been running OK for a few days' time. I am not that tied to iCloud on the laptop to care that much. I don't fee like taking the effort to back up user data and migrate to a new user account, although I am very familiar with the procedure.

I'm hoping that either Apple releases a different version of iCloud for Windows, tuned to Win10; or MS makes a patch for Win10 itself.

Windows 10 has already shown to have the flaw of inability to play the Windows start up sound. Despite selected in the sounds panel, it has failed to play in pre-release builds and apparently in the final build as well. Plus the "Exit Windows" sound also fails to play (not showing in the sounds panel, you have to make a subtle change in the Registry for it to appear; I have done so, see the selection, activate it, but no sound plays). All other Wondows 10 sounds play just fine.

Also, in my case I like the ability to use my fingerprint scanner to log onto the machine. With the Microsoft log in that was not an option; only use my manually entered MS password. I do have to use the fingerprint software from Windows 7 as I had prior, as HP has no software available for Win 10 in that regard. I may check a Win 8 version to see if it varies, but the scanner is working for me with Win 7 software.

Aug 3, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Rivergoat

I found that whenever I installed iCloud for Windows it would corrupt all my Pictures folder permissions. After uninstalling iCloud I was able to reset all permissions correctly (it also prevented Adobe Lightroom from running as it couldn't get permissions to maintain the catalog). I tried reinstalling iCloud and it happened again. I finally just uninstalled iCloud. I'll wait till they get it fixed and I see confirmation of that from others as I spent most of my free time this weekend on this issue...

Aug 3, 2015 11:39 AM in response to gregoryfromupland

I noticed a permissions issue not only on iCloud but on my Adobe Lightroom catalog, and the ability to save pictures from Adobe Photoshop.

Checking permissions on the folders in question, of course Administrator has full control, but I saw (was this in Windows 8? I never ran that, only Win7) a permission setting for "Home User" that was read-only. I changed that to full control, and everything worked well thereafter.

As for iCloud...I had removed it, then after some other discussions decided to re-install, but with A/V turned off, then after it's in, turn A/V back on. I am also strictly on a local log in, not a Microsoft account log in.

At present iCloud is working and stable on Windows 10 for me.

Aug 5, 2015 8:00 AM in response to cyberkeith

Related issue - I have a convertible laptop (Lenovo yoga, was 8.1) which i use when travelling - let it update to Windows 10 since I figure its not mission critical.

I can no longer access icloud contacts and Calendars, which I use to sync my various devices as I'm too cheap to pay for an exchange server.

Seems like a lot of people have the same problem. Luckily not using this PC for a while isn't a big deal. I'll give them a few weeks to create a compatible version and shift over to exchange if they don't. I'm certainly not about to risk screwing everything else up by changing accounts etc.

Its OK to say "icloud is not compatible with Windows 10" but by this stage it **** well should be. My guess is there will by now be millions using this combination since the update has been 'pushed'.How many hours will all those people have wasted trying to sort this out?

iCloud and Windows 10 compatibility issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.