Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook frozen at log-in screen

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and am using Yosemite Version 10.10.04. Recently, within the past three weeks I've run into a recurring problem. What happens is I will close my laptop without turning it off - something I have done a thousand times before - and when I go to open it next it is frozen on the log-in screen, with my mouse always stuck in the same exact spot (above the log-in area, to the left) and the log-in screen being oddly see-through, including the text. I cannot type my password in and always have to force restart my computer. When I restart it, it works, but I always get a message saying "You restarted your computer because of a problem" and would I like to open the previous applications. Additionally, there are times when I am charging my laptop, and when I unplug it because it's fully charged (charging with the laptop closed), my computer will make a restarting noise before I've even opened it and I know then that I will open my computer to find it frozen on the log-in page.

Since I've owned my laptop, I usually don't close the laptop without closing all windows, though occasionally something like Word or Safari may still technically be on, though I usually make a point to never have safari or things connected to the internet running. Since this problem occurred however, I've tried quitting all applications before shutting my laptop, but the problem persists. Most recently, I closed out of all applications and quit them as well, but when I went through the whole ordeal of having to restart my computer again, my computer asked if I wanted to open any applications that were running previously, which does not make sense because I quit all applications, so there was nothing running to reopen.

I really have no idea why this would have just randomly started happening. I carry my laptop to school every day and admittedly don't turn it off when I do so, but I have also done this since I've owned my laptop as well. Also I haven't been able to back up my laptop for over a month due to travels, so I don't know if that would contribute in some weird way either.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 1:03 PM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2015 1:54 PM in response to iamcalledchief

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Step 1

For this step, the title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

In the top right corner of the Console window, there's a search box labeled Filter. Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes.)

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Select the BOOT_TIME log message that corresponds to the last boot time when you had the problem. Now clear the search box to reveal all messages. Select the ones logged before the boot, during the time something abnormal was happening. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

For example, if the system was unresponsive or was failing to shut down for three minutes before you forced a restart, post the messages timestamped within three minutes before the boot time, not after. Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the end of the log extract—not at the beginning.

If there are long runs of repeated messages, please post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Step 2

In the Console window, select

DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION System Diagnostic Reports

(not Diagnostic and Usage Messages) from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

There is a disclosure triangle to the left of the list item. If the triangle is pointing to the right, click it so that it points down. You'll see a list of reports. A crash report has a name that begins with the name of the crashed process and ends in ".crash". A panic report has a name that begins with "Kernel" and ends in ".panic". A shutdown stall report has a name that ends in ".shutdownstall". Select the most recent of each, if any. The contents of the report will appear on the right. Use copy and paste to post the entire contents—the text, not a screenshot. It's possible that none of these reports exists.

I know the report is long, maybe several hundred lines. Please post all of it anyway.

If you don't see any reports listed, but you know there was a crash or panic, you may have chosen Diagnostic and Usage Messages from the log list. Choose DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION instead.

In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post other kinds of diagnostic report—they're very long and rarely helpful.

When you post the log extract or the crash report, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Aug 2, 2015 7:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for reaching out! I hope I did this right, there was a lot of these to sift through but I found these messages repeating. There were several duplicates so I may have missed some other messages.

8/2/15 9:39:50.000 PM syslogd[41]: Configuration Notice:

ASL Module "com.apple.AccountPolicyHelper" claims selected messages.

Those messages may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database.

8/2/15 9:39:50.000 PM syslogd[41]: Configuration Notice:

ASL Module "com.apple.authd" sharing output destination "/var/log/asl" with ASL Module "com.apple.asl".

Output parameters from ASL Module "com.apple.asl" override any specified in ASL Module "com.apple.authd".

8/2/15 9:39:48.934 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.cmio.AVCAssistant) ThrottleInterval set to zero. You're not that important. Ignoring.

8/2/15 9:39:50.272 PM com.apple.kextd[43]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

8/2/15 9:39:48.934 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.backupd-status) The HideUntilCheckIn property is an architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.

8/2/15 9:39:49.097 PM hidd[93]: IOHIDService compatibility thread running at priority 63 and schedule 2.

8/2/15 9:39:49.095 PM watchdogd[54]: [watchdog_daemon] @( main) - cannot initialize the watchdog service

8/2/15 9:39:49.091 PM fseventsd[44]: event logs in /.fseventsd out of sync with volume. destroying old logs. (114908 48 392035)

8/2/15 9:39:50.000 PM kernel[0]: hfs: Removed 36 orphaned / unlinked files and 561 directories

8/2/15 9:39:50.000 PM kernel[0]: Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPchS eriesAHCI/PRT0@0/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOB lockStorageDriver/TOSHIBA MK5065GSXF Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Macintosh HD@2/CoreStoragePhysical/Macintosh HD/Macintosh HD

8/2/15 9:39:50.000 PM kernel[0]: CoreStorageFamily::unlockVEKs(C7EBCE14-85EC-4BEF-AA34-12914B2B0CE6) was successful.

Aug 2, 2015 8:19 PM in response to iamcalledchief

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

macbook frozen at log-in screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.