Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to the Software Update server (10.0.1.250).

Hi,

When I try to look for updates it tells me:

An error has occurred.

Please help me. I can't update anything.

Regards,

Yael

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 2:05 PM

The system is configured to download updates from a private server, not from Apple. That server isn't working or isn't reachable. If you're bound to a network directory server, or if you're behind a firewall that doesn't allow downloading updates directly from Apple, your network administrator has to solve the problem. Otherwise, proceed as follows.

Back up all data.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. Confirm. You don't need to post the warning.

If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. Log in as one and start over.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered. You can then quit Terminal.

Try again to update.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 2:05 PM in response to yaelrobineau

The system is configured to download updates from a private server, not from Apple. That server isn't working or isn't reachable. If you're bound to a network directory server, or if you're behind a firewall that doesn't allow downloading updates directly from Apple, your network administrator has to solve the problem. Otherwise, proceed as follows.

Back up all data.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. Confirm. You don't need to post the warning.

If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. Log in as one and start over.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered. You can then quit Terminal.

Try again to update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.