Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated Error Code - 50 when copying files

I have an older Mac Pro (Model: MacPro 4.1). It is currently running Mavericks although I'm planning to update to Yosemite later today to see if that helps my problem. I have a lot of external hard drives and am moving a ton of footage around. I keep getting Error Code -50 when I copy files between these hard drives.

When I delete apple.com.finder.plist and restart the computer that fixes the problem and I'm able to copy the files but then I get the error code later when I try to copy different files from different drives, including brand new drives. I thought it might have something to do with the naming conventions but a lot of this is raw footage and if I rename the files it will mess up everything since these drives are being used for editing. This makes me think the issues must be something with the finder, the OS or even the hard drive the OS is installed on.

At this point I'm blindly trying different solutions and would love some educated guesses on what could be causing this issue and how to fix it. I'm also wondering if this computer is just too old to handle the level of work it's being put through. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 1:02 PM

1 reply

Aug 2, 2015 3:14 PM in response to ymistry

paramErr = -50, /*error in user parameter list*/

That usually implies that there's an issue with permissions and users on the ext HD. Select the ext HD, CMD+I, and select Ignore ownership on this volume/disk. That should fix the problem.

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10.4), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

Repeated Error Code - 50 when copying files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.