Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are iTunes issues re: Upgrading Windows Vista 32 to Windows 7 64 bit

My PC is currently on Windows Vista 32 bit and I am about to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit. I just tried to update iTunes (now on 12.0.1.26) and had problems, came here to see why and found out 12.2 won't run on Vista.

So, can anyone help me plan best path to handle iTunes (and my Music Libraries) for this Windows upgrade? (and yes, I have checked to be sure my PC can support Windows 7 64 and also, later down the line, Windows 10). I will be needing to do a Custom Install for Windows 7 and do have an external drive available and plan to use Easy Transfer for files.

(in case it's relevant, I have iPhone 5, ipad Mini and an old iPad, all on iOS8)

PC, Windows Vista, Dell Inspiron Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 2x4MB

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 5:23 PM

The last version of iTunes to support Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista is 12.1.2.27.

See the older versions section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for direct links.

Review the rest of the tip for removal and reinstallation advice and other resources.

See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a suggested backup process. Test your backup before upgrading and deauthorise your computer. You can use the same tool for backing up other sets of data and to these backups in future.

tt2

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 5:23 PM in response to DianeX

The last version of iTunes to support Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista is 12.1.2.27.

See the older versions section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for direct links.

Review the rest of the tip for removal and reinstallation advice and other resources.

See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a suggested backup process. Test your backup before upgrading and deauthorise your computer. You can use the same tool for backing up other sets of data and to these backups in future.

tt2

Aug 2, 2015 6:38 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you,tt2.

I'll study the references you gave me within the next day or two and report back. One thing for now though, are you saying Easy Transfer wouldn't properly handle the backup and restore of the iTunes files? I'm reluctant to deal with yet another tool. Or maybe I'll get the answer to this when I do my homework and study what you've given me.

Aug 3, 2015 2:16 AM in response to DianeX

I believe Windows Easy Transfer is for transferring your data to a new system. An in-place upgrade should preserve your data. Either way you should be backing up your personal documents and data on a regular basis in case of hard drive failure or corruption. Microsoft's SyncToy is the tool I use as once set up it can copy over new or changed files efficiently. You can also review the list of proposed updates to make sure nothing unexpected has happened with the source copies. As an example a change in the way iTunes manages podcast subscriptions once wiped out some 1,700 saved episodes I had in my library. With no backup, or a completely automatic one, I probably would not have noticed until it was too late to recover the data. As it was I restored the Podcasts folder and the iTunes Library.itl file from the backup, then restarted iTunes and chose the "Do not sync podcast subscription settings" option which prevented a repeat of the issue.

tt2

Aug 3, 2015 2:00 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2 - Again, thank you for your time and advice.

Yes, I do routinely backup my files (using Windows Backup and Restore System).

As for my migration to Windows 7 - as I said in my initial post, I'll need to do a Custom (aka Clean) install because of moving from 32 bit to 64 bit OS. That means my files and programs will NOT be retained. Hence my plan to use Easy Transfer, which was recommended in Microsoft instructions. (here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to -windows-7#T1=tab01 ). That's why I was surprised to be needing to handle my iTunes stuff differently. I hadn't realized the most recent version of iTunes didn't run under Vista until I tried to update iTunes as part of my path to Windows 7. My reasoning was that it would be best to have most recent version of iTunes BEFORE my Windows 7 transition - thought being that once I get to Windows 7 I'll need to install iTunes from scratch and that would best be the most recent version. When I tried to update iTunes (now, under Vista) it just quit after I started the download with no message, as if I hadn't asked. That's what led me to the conclusion that I may have to handle iTunes Library differently from other files.

Maybe tmi and not as succint as it might be - but bottom line is that I definitely need to have copies of all my files to reinstall once on Win 7 64 bit. I'll have to reinstall any/all programs as well, pretty much as if I replaced my hard drive. I'm just going through programs that are critical that might have problems. For all intents and purposes, all software will assume I'm on a New Computer. And my iTunes Library will have been created under older than current version 9 (12.0.1.26 under Vista). Luckily I have an iPad and iPhone so I'll be able to go online for help if (when?) I get stuck. I'm not a techie, but I'm careful and patient and follow instructions well.

I was basically ready to Get On With It and start until I ran into the iTunes issue so now have to wait until I have time to study info you provided.

Aug 3, 2015 4:57 PM in response to DianeX

OK, had a chance to review Windows Easy Transfer. Looks like it should do what you need providing all your content is in the usual places in your user profile. As far as iTunes is concerned that means that your iTunes library folder should be inside your user's Music folder. You also want all media to be consolidated into the iTunes Media folder. If, for example, you had content added from a folder called C:\MP3s then your restored library would contain the links to those files, but Easy Transfer would not have copied them. If you've used the default settings then your library is probably consolidated already but make sure use File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate files.

The main thing you should do is deauthorize the old computer before performing the clean install, otherwise you will lose one of your five available computer authorizations.

As long as you don't try to downgrade iTunes it doesn't really matter when you upgrade. You should however restore your data to the new computer before installing iTunes so that it picks up your library automatically.

I'd still recommend SyncToy as a way of backing up files, in particular because it lets you monitor the changes each time, and unlike a Windows backup set the data in the cloned folder can be reviewed and is ready to use straightaway if needed. Maybe have a look at it at some point down the line.

tt2

Aug 4, 2015 6:42 AM in response to turingtest2

Good Morning tt2 - You are so generous to have spent so much time with my question and I do appreciate it. And you also gave me information that I don't think I'd have ever found on my own.

Especially these two pearls (definitely things I wouldn't have thought of:

"The main thing you should do is deauthorize the old computer before performing the clean install, otherwise you will lose one of your five available computer authorizations.

As long as you don't try to downgrade iTunes it doesn't really matter when you upgrade. You should however restore your data to the new computer before installing iTunes so that it picks up your library automatically."

OK - I think I've got everything I need to deal with iTunes on my computer upgrade. I'll check back with results in case there are others doing the same thing.

Oct 4, 2015 2:40 PM in response to turingtest2

Good Morning tt2 - You are so generous to have spent so much time with my question and I do appreciate it. And you also gave me information that I don't think I'd have ever found on my own.

Especially these two pearls (definitely things I wouldn't have thought of:

"The main thing you should do is deauthorize the old computer before performing the clean install, otherwise you will lose one of your five available computer authorizations.

As long as you don't try to downgrade iTunes it doesn't really matter when you upgrade. You should however restore your data to the new computer before installing iTunes so that it picks up your library automatically."

OK - I think I've got everything I need to deal with iTunes on my computer upgrade. I'll check back with results in case there a

Oct 4, 2015 2:45 PM in response to DianeX

Hello turingtest2 - I am happy to report that your instructions and tips worked like a charm! I finally bit the bullet and did my computer upgrade; just installed iTunes (now on 12.3.0.44 64 bit) on my "new" Windows 7 64 bit PC.

With your expert guidance, I had no problems whatsoever. I did have trouble finding how to deauthorize my Vista computer before the upgrade (the option wasn't where I expected it, but on a drop down menu at the top. I guess that's because I only had a single computer authorized for iTunes).

Anyhow - as I said I just installed iTunes, haven't explored in detail, but my files all appear to be there, I can play music. Will check out the rest another time, back to reinstalling other programs.

Thank you so much! Nowhere was there such detailed and helpful instruction on how to do this upgrade!

Oct 26, 2015 8:06 PM in response to DianeX

To Diane X and TT2,

I appreciate this thread and the information you have provided, but I am not confident in my ability to manage through a similar issue and wonder if you could provide some guidance or direction on what to do. Here is my scenario:

Toshiba PC with Windows 7 64-bit.

Tried to update iTunes to 12.3.1, and was experiencing difficulty and received the following message during the process:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I have no idea if the "support" or "vendor" is Apple or Microsoft for this issue. Your thoughts and suggestions are both welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you, in advance!

Oct 27, 2015 12:40 AM in response to SimpleChef

To those who were unable to resolve this issue, please follow the steps suggested on this article.

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

Please be reminded to read the article very clearly since the uninstallation of iTunes and its related components should be "in order". Failure to do so will lead to possible errors and/or issues. 🙂

Oct 27, 2015 4:45 AM in response to SimpleChef

From the programs and features control panel start by attempting to repair and then remove Apple Software Update, then try installing iTunes again. If that doesn't work read on...

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

If you've tried the above without success then see the method in Install missing components. What component fails to install, and what error message does it give? See this post for steps to produce detailed logs of the installation which may reveal why iTunes won't install. Look for words like failed or error.

tt2

What are iTunes issues re: Upgrading Windows Vista 32 to Windows 7 64 bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.