Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Renaming the hard drive of MacBook Pro 9.2

I accidentally renamed the hard drive.....found a question that told how to do sop. Did it and get this response...use a shorter or longer name and without " or punctuation. I see no punctuatin or " in the name I wanted to change. Am completely unable to change the name back. Also it does not show as the drive to put the OS X clean version to.

Please assist.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 2:42 PM

12 replies

Aug 2, 2015 3:28 PM in response to daHumoon

I'm having a hard time understanding most of your question but from what I have gathered you accidentally renamed your hard drive and you are trying to change it back? Go to Finder and locate the drive. Then click it and click the 'return' key on your keyboard and it will allow you to edit the name of the hard drive. You cannot include colons (:) or start the name with a period (.).

Hope this helped.

Aug 2, 2015 3:42 PM in response to daHumoon

You should be able to find the hard drive if not visible on the desktop, by using

the Finder preferences to make it visible, then change the name. A safe one

would be to re-name it Macintosh HD or whatever it was on first-run startup.

User uploaded file

Usually you may also (if chosen) see access to the hard drive or its icon, in a window side bar, but that

won't help make the main hard drive icon appear if the setting does not allow it. And if you have problems

with items on the desktop being re-named, it's best to avoid having the hard drive visible. It can be opened

easily enough without being visible by other means in OS X.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Aug 13, 2015 6:35 AM in response to rgdenis

Thank you, I am sorry my questions are hard to understand. I am fairly new at this and attempt to make them clear.

I have don e as instructed. When I change the name as instructed, a note comes up stating do not use ". I do not use them. Is there a setting I need to change that automatically uses the " in name change?

I also do not see the " in the name chan ge.

Please assist and thank you.

Aug 13, 2015 2:25 PM in response to daHumoon

While I'm not familiar with the use of 'invisible' or unseen characters, or their use in OS X,

the name issue may be a form of file corruption, or perhaps something else. Hopefully

someone with experience in an issue similar to your problem may reply.

When you made the Macintosh HD icon visible on the desktop, and used Get Info to

see the information pane, did you try to change the name inside that window where

the name Macintosh HD appears? You could try it there, or just single-click the icon

itself on the desktop, to try & not open the file, then click a second time on the words

of the name itself, so it would allow you to change them from whatever they are to

whatever you want. Then you may wish to use Disk Utility to 'repair disk permissions.'

User uploaded file

There may be another method of re-naming the drive, that I have not used nor could I

suggest the exact steps, which may use Terminal or command-line access. This is not

something that a novice or standard user would normally need to do. I've never done it

and had no need.

Sorry to be of little additional assistance in this matter. 😐

Aug 28, 2015 11:57 PM in response to daHumoon

You may be able to carefully re-name a hard disk drive with OS X system on board by

use of the OS X Recovery's version of OS X Utilities, where you may be able to also

and secondarily (if desired) erase and reformat. However you'd not want to go that far.

• OS X Mavericks: Rename items on your Mac

Part of the problem in re-naming a hard drive, may be the computer name is also used

by other processes, & additionally that name is shared with other computers networked.

See many replies to search of topic, using words 'how to rename hard drive on Mac OS X'

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=How+to+rename+hard+drive+on+Mac+OS+X&t=ffsb

{Some are not valid, or may go to questionable sites due to too many 'fake choice' click-ons.}

Of those, some point back to support discussions; others pertain to different OS X versions

and some cover details under differing circumstances that may or may not be similar to the

underlying issue behind a problem you see. Different causes may result in similar symptom.

Do you have a TimeMachine backup of your computer drive on an external storage? An

improperly named or re-named hard drive in the Mac may not see or accept an old TM

backup if the names differ. See the name Pondini among Apple support searches as he

provided some great advice, for a limited time, and some of that wisdom is still online.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Aug 29, 2015 12:51 AM in response to Lexiepex

A point that was a basis of my concern, you stated well.

James posted a few relevant comments in this thread...

Can you rename the internal hard drive? If so, how?

However most users have not issues from a simple rename.

His threads are still going on, without him...

Pondini - content

The simple answer has been covered in several ways, and

yet it was said (in another thread by O.P.) there no answers

here in ASC to his/her posted questions.

This is the simple answer

• OS X Mavericks: Rename items on your Mac

Yet apparently these are all inadequate in so many unknown ways! 😝

Renaming the hard drive of MacBook Pro 9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.