Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 10 activation

Hello everyone,

I have a mid 14 Rmbp with the gt750m, Due to my school i bought "8.1 pro for university". As you know microsoft released the new windows 10 free for upgrade in the past days. As in the "descriptions" i first upgraded my computer for the clean install. But finally i couldn't activate my computer anyway.

Is there a specific way to clean install windows 10 successful on macbook, does somebody have the same problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 1:28 PM

2 replies

Aug 2, 2015 4:46 PM in response to MK_93

Our fisherman friend speaks the truth about boot camp drivers - better ones are very likely coming. For those of us who can afford to experiment, it won't violate any manufacturer / user contracts. I have done some experimenting and here is what I am currently happy with: I figured out how to get the best available boot camp drivers through Boot Camp Assistant, I then booted to my Windows side and updated my 8.1 install as far as the updates could go. Finally I received the "Windows 10" logo on the toolbar and clicked it. I affirmed my approval of obtaining Windows 10 whenever it would become available, and was promised by the logo that I would be notified in the near future, but the download was not ready quite yet. AT THIS POINT Microsoft has logged your machine's identity and you no longer need an install key number (which causes a lot of headaches with Windows 10 because BEFORE YOU RECEIVE THAT LOGO on your toolbar, when you perform a clean install it asks for an install key number and you have no idea where to get it because it isn't a purchased OS and there is no package or disk or anything.... I was trying my old W7 & W8 install keys - no luck) ANYway, rather than wait to be notified that my 10 download was "ready" I downloaded my own W10 .iso file and burned a DVD. I booted to my Windows side and plugged in the DVD - it will auto-start or you can click-start it. I selected "keep the files and settings" already on my 8.1 install. One hour later I had Windows 10 minus the "fn" key function, and minus the "brightness key" function. I plugged in the Boot Camp Assistant software (I spoke of at the beginning) and found the Apple Keyboard part inside. I clicked it and it re-installed over the prior 8.1 Boot Camp driver and presto! Keyboard works great.

Key factors here - your 8.1 has to be legit ("activated" with a real owner install key number) but I'm not sure if "8.1 pro for university" qualifies. (Why wouldn't it, though - it is reasonable to think it qualifies). Microsoft has to "see" your machine and send you the clickable "Windows 10" toolbar logo. You can wait until they inform you your W10 download is ready -OR- you can immediately use the Microsoft Media Creation Software from their website to "make" an .iso of your own. You should install with everything intact (NOT a clean install - although that just might work since MS already knows your machine and officially welcomes you as a W10 user.) And finally you should have a USB stick created with Boot Camp Assistant Apple Drivers (W7 or W8.1 - it doesn't matter but what DOES matter is that you download them from the same Mac you put them on - I have 2 Macs and one DID NOT play with the other!) and use that stick to "fix up" any non-functioning Apple hardware on your machine. ALL THAT SAID - you STILL might find your unit doesn't work perfectly and that is not Apple's fault - as Bob says "...Boot Camp does not yet support Windows 10. No drivers. I would not be loading an unsupported operating system on a computer I use for school or work...."

I really enjoy mine so far though - just my own experience.

PS _ Don't forget to "save your valuable files" off-machine 'cause these things can go sideways real easy!

Cheers

windows 10 activation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.