Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I temporarily turn off iMovie and iPhoto apps on MacBook Pro

Yosomite . How to turn off iMovie and iPhoto when not in use on MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Lion, then Mavericks, now Yosomite

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 4:10 PM

3 replies

Aug 4, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Denison

Hi Denison,

Just to clarify your question ... you have the iMovie and iPhoto applications on your MacBook Pro and you would like to know how to turn them off when you are not using them, is that right?

Unless you click on the icons on the Dock, or open the Applications folder and double-click on the applications to launch them, they are "off" and not taking up any resources on your computer.

Just to be sure, you can also check the Login Items in your User Account and remove any apps you don't want launching when you start your Mac.

Mac OS X: Setting up Login, Startup items
https://support.apple.com/es-es/HT2602

If you are not planning on using these applications, you can remove the icons from the Dock. I would suggest just leaving them in the Applications folder unless your hard drive is full.

You can tell what applications are in use by the little dot beside the icon on the Dock. Or, launch the Activity Monitor application to see more details about the applications and processes running on your Mac.

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

Denison, if this does not answer your question, please reply with a little more information. Thanks.

Take care,

Aug 28, 2015 1:56 PM in response to judysings

Hi judysings,

Thanks for an excellent detailed reply.

I have a new, though perhaps related problem. Following an Apple Update on 12 July I left Macbook Pro overnight to install same. Next day it would not open /start. Prior to this it had sent 2 reports to Apple because it would not open, but I overcame these by trying again, then again, following the messages on the screen. The next time it would not open/start and no messages appeared on the screen so I phoned Apple Support and was taken through several key-pressing manoeuvres to no avail. I took it to the AppleStore Genius but the only way she could help was by deleting everything and setting up the MacBook Pro for re-installing at home from my back-up drive. This worked. I returned to AppleStore as the 'wheel of death' had been appearing and we transferred several large files from the Macbook Pro to another exterior drive to give Macbook Pro plenty of 'wriggle room'. Apple agreed there was plenty of room on my hard drive now.

On August 18th the Macbook Pro battery ran out. I charged it up but it would not open/start. i returned to the Genius Bar but the Genius could not find the problem. He did the same as the previous Genius - deleted everything from Macbook Pro and I re-installed at home from my back-up drive. Again this worked. The genius suggested I might need a new hard drive but I don't think so as it is working perfectly now and I cannot see how the hard drive is responsible for opening/starting Macbook Pro.

However, I am currently afraid of letting the battery run out as it seems it will mean going through the whole procedure of deleting and re-installing.

Any ideas?

Aug 30, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Denison

Good Morning Dennison,

From your description, it sounds to me like there may be an issue with the hard drive, or possibly the user account that you have been restoring from. When you called Apple Support or took your computer in for support at the Apple Genius bar, you would have received a case number. I would suggest contacting Apple Support again with that case number so that they can investigate this issue further with you. The case number has the detailed notes that the technical advisors made regarding the troubleshooting done on your computer. Contact Apple Support - Apple Support.

Do you have a current Time Machine backup?
Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

Regards,

How can I temporarily turn off iMovie and iPhoto apps on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.