Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

running hot

Hello,

I am running a 21.5 in. iMac from late 2009 that has 4gb of ram, a 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB graphics, and I am worried that it is running too hot. First of all, when I am completely at idle, my CPU is running at 46º C, but the part that I am worried about is that my Power Supply Heatsink is at 80º C. Then, when I am starting to get into my usual stuff (such as research that requires multiple tabs open, and word documents, and sometimes one or two other programs, the CPU runs at roughly 60º C, and the power supply heatsink hits 91º C! In addition, I play games, but I have not run the program that tests the temperature because I just got the app, and I am behind on work (so I don't have time for games).

Well, it is time for the question, is this too hot? 196º F seems to be too hot for it to be running, but I may be wrong. (Also, is it normal for me to be getting crazy amounts of lag when doing research?)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 2:10 PM

That is too hot. You should run the Apple Hardware Test from disc two of your original gray install discs.

6 replies

Dec 10, 2016 8:14 AM in response to SeaPapp

Sorry to butt in but I am having almost the identical problem. I do not have any measurements but the feel of the case, when typing, feels very warm. I also do not have any disc's for the program you mentioned. Is there a link to Apple that might provide me with the program you are writing about? Comments and help appreciated.

running hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.