Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i restored back up my new iphone 6 with my old iphone 4s. why did it delete the photos existing on 6? how can i retrieve it?

i am actually mad at what happened. i used my new iphone 6 to capture great landscapes but when i used restore back up. i was expecting it to just copy the existing files from my iphone 4s to the new iphone 6 WITHOUT deleting the data i had on 6. they should have at least a warning regarding this matter.

now back to the question, i believe there is no chance of retrieving the files. but if there is please tell me

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 3:26 PM

5 replies

Aug 2, 2015 3:32 PM in response to dbanana

You are correct, there is no chance, unless you created a backup of the iPhone 6 before you restored the iPhone 4s. If you did not backup or import the photos, they are gone.

Restoring an iPhone to the backup of an older iPhone does not merge data. It does the same thing that would happen if you restored the backup of a computer. It wipes the device clean, then restores the device with the backup, making the device look just like the device you backed up looked at the date and time of the backup. This is how all backup restores operate.

Aug 2, 2015 3:36 PM in response to dbanana

dbanana wrote:

they should have at least a warning regarding this matter.

The "warming" is in many places. I am fairly certain a pop-up is presented before the restore begins. I know this is what is displayed in the iTunes help:

User uploaded file

If you did not back up the landscapes before restoring to a previous version, and assuming they were all just on the Camera Roll, then the landscapes are gone.

Aug 2, 2015 3:46 PM in response to sberman

as far as i can remember no pop ups popped. because it was the first time i synced the iphone 6 and they asked me if i want to set it up as a new phone or use the back up from iphone 4s. so yeah, i believed i wasn't warned. i just didn't expect it will delete the existing files on iphone 6.. thanks anyway

Oct 13, 2015 2:45 PM in response to renzgarcia08

You cannot. Restoring a phone to a backup of an older phone makes the phone look exactly like the other one did at the date and time the backup was made. That is what a restore is. If you read the earlier posts, unless you imported hose photos before restoring , or made a backup of the device before restoring, those photos are gone, as they should be.

i restored back up my new iphone 6 with my old iphone 4s. why did it delete the photos existing on 6? how can i retrieve it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.