Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing question

When creating an account for my kids on family sharing for itunes etc..., it is telling me I need a credit card instead of my debit card. Why is this? And why can't I just use my debit card. I really don't want to add a credit card.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 3:57 PM

1 reply

Aug 4, 2015 11:50 AM in response to sphagetibear21

Hello sphagetibear21,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I see that you are trying to create a Family Sharing group, but are getting a prompt that you need to add a credit card. If you have a family with children under the age of 13, you need to have a valid credit card on your account. For more information on why this is required, please see below:

Before you begin, make sure that you're using a credit card as your iTunes Store and App Store payment method. To comply with child online privacy protection laws, you will use the CVV or security code from a valid credit card as part of providing your parental consent. If the card on file is a debit card or another payment method, you’ll be asked to provide a credit card before you can continue. After you create the child's Apple ID, you can change your payment method back to a debit card.

After you add your child to your family group, they will have their own Apple ID that they can use on any Apple device. Your email address will be the rescue email address for your child’s account, and you can use it with the security questions you provided to reset a forgotten password.

Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids - Apple Support

Have a good one.

Family Sharing question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.