Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to resinstall Mavericks after factory reset

I just restored an iMac to factory settings and now I can neither reinstall Mavericks (I don't have the disc and Mavericks is no longer available) nor can I install Yosemite because "Safari can't open [the URL] because it doesn't recognize Internet addresses starting with 'macappstores'." Suggestions, anyone?

iMac, OSX, Mavericks, Yosemite, reset

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 6:04 PM

So, did you purchase Mavericks previously?

Which OS version is on the iMac right now?

Did you buy this machine used?

FWIW, the app store is an application - it is in your Applications folder; you do not use Safari - simply launch the app store.

8 replies

Aug 2, 2015 8:39 PM in response to babowa

I inherited this iMac from a cousin who passed away. I currently run Yosemite on my own iMac.

I can't tell which version of Mavericks OS X it's trying to revert to b/c I can't access the About This Apple menu. I am trapped in the post-reset options (restore to previous, which I can't do b/c there's no Time Machine backup; reinstall Mavericks OS X, which I can't do; get help, which is how I got into Safari)

No access to applications folder b/c I have no desktop yet.

It is indeed a quandary

Aug 2, 2015 10:11 PM in response to Obsidian Kitten

Ok, so Mavericks (or any OS) is a problem because it is tied to the previous owner's Apple ID. There is only one possibility that I know of and that would be internet recovery (if the recovery option is still available) - try to use Internet Recovery (holding Command + Option + R) while booting up. Will take a while; let go of the keys when you see a progress bar. Once in the Utilities window, use Disk Utility to erase your hard drive; when finished, it should reinstall the original OS (if Lion or later). During setup, you can then use your own ID and password.

Unable to resinstall Mavericks after factory reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.