Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paying for temporary use of a crazy fast upload connection?

I'd like to take advantage of Amazon.com's Unlimited Photo Storage for Prime members to backup my extensive photo digital photo collection. I have roughly 4.5TB of RAW/PSD/TIFF photos I'd like to upload, but that would take an eternity on my 20Mbps upload connection. Even if I wanted to dedicate a couple months to doing it, I'd be hampered by constant buffering issues for all of my other bandwidth heavy services (i.e. streaming via Netflix or Apple TV, Dropcam cloud recording, Dropbox, etc.).

Does anyone know of a way that I could somehow rent a ridiculously fast upload connection for a couple of days/weeks to up the 4.5TB of RAW photos I'd like to backup on Amazon? Is there some clever server/seedbox/mac-minicolo/etc. approach to this issue that might be the solution I'm looking for? Piggy-backing on a starbucks or apple store connection won't cut it for 4.5TB.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 4:41 PM

12 replies

Aug 2, 2015 10:41 PM in response to babowa

I also do that. And I keep backup drives off-site. This is about redundancy, as well as trying to take full advantage of a service offered to prime members, which I'm already paying for. Might as well get the most bang for my buck! Plus, the Amazon Photos app makes these images accessible via my iOS device, which is a pretty cool bonus!

Aug 3, 2015 3:42 AM in response to m021478

Any network source available to the home will all have limited upload bandwidth.

The limitation is the technology that is available routed to your location.

Now, if you want to spend 10's of thousands of dollars to get dedicated fiber links

run to you home (if it is even available) and the thousands of dollars for the terminal equipment,

you might be able to do what you want. Ultimately you would still be limited by how fast

you can get data off your drives.

Aug 3, 2015 9:54 AM in response to woodmeister50

I think you guys are missing the point.

I'm trying to find a service that temporarily 'rents' super high speed broadband (not necessarily in my home). Either a service like this exists, or it doesn't. Googling didn't turn up anything so I figured I'd ask to see if anyone knew of any such service.

Obviously paying tens of thousands of dollars for dedicated fiber optics run to my home isn't quite what I meant.

Aug 3, 2015 10:31 AM in response to m021478

I don't think such an upload service exists. Interesting idea though. Even if it did exist, I'm pretty sure Amazon would throttle the upload to their system. Why do you think they make it free? They are not going to take 4.5TB from everyone in a day. They make it free and unlimited because they know you can't upload all that data without a lot of system commitment on your part so you have to really want it. They are not going to make doing what you are trying to do easy. My speculation.

Aug 3, 2015 10:37 AM in response to UGADog

You're probably right. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone reading this thread will be from Kansas City and have a Google Fiber connection (and its 1000Mbps upload connection), so they could help us put it to the test!

Hey someone in Kansas City... Can I rent your broadband for a little while to upload some photos?

Paying for temporary use of a crazy fast upload connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.