Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule

I had a Time capsule connected to a iMac since 2008. Just bought a new Time Capsule and new iMac 27 inch 2 months ago. At that time I disconnected the old time capsule from the old computer and put it in a drawer. Just found out when I was on my old mac that I am missing some photos (I did not transfer photos to new computer because there was some 30,000 photos). So now I want to connect the old time capsule back to my old computer and retrieve some of my photos I had in iPhoto in albums.

I reconnected the old time capsule to the old computer with ethernet but the amber light flashes light and it's not connecting.

This computer has OS X 10.8.5.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 5:03 PM

1 reply

Aug 2, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Mark Yaroncyzk

Reset the TC to factory.. this will do nothing harmful to the backups.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Once you do that.. redo the setup of the TC with it plugged directly into the computer by ethernet.. and no other connections.. the airport utility will suggest the old TC will extend wireless from the new one.. which is fine.

Once you finish the setup you can then access the backups as per usual..

See Pondini on recovery of the iphoto library.. you must recover the entire library..

Q15 here. http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.