Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Rearranging Toolbar Icons

Without rhyme or reason I'll sometimes go to hit an icon on my Safari toolbar and find that it has jumped position. This seems to only happen with 3rd party (plugin) icons and I've been trying to determine what is causing it (reboot, updates, whatever) but haven't had any luck.

As an example my normal setup is:

fwd/back - sidebar - {space} - icloud tabs - all tabs - {space} - 1password - address bar - evernote - devonthink - {space} - share - {space} - web inspector

A typical rearrange will end up:

fwd/back - sidebar - {space} - icloud tabs - all tabs - {space} - address bar - devonthink - {space} - share - evernote - 1password - {space} - web inspector

That said, it doesn't rearrange the same items in the same way each time. If it did I'd be annoyed but at least everything would be in the same place each time. As is I'm annoyed enough between this and a couple of other Yosemite safari idiocies to switch browsers. (My other major pet peeve is the address bar going from centered to left justified when I click in it -- if I want to change a small part of a url, say www.somesite.com/somearticle/1/ to ../somearticle/2/ I have to click once and then reposition my cursor with another click or the keyboard, anyway...)

Anyone know what causes the rearrange and, more importantly, how to make it stop?

Running a Macbook Pro 17" Early 2011 with Yosemite 10.10.4 and Safari 8.0.7

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Safari 8.0.7

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 2:49 PM

2 replies

Aug 3, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, but if this works it only solves part of the issue:

Toggling extensions (all or individually) off and then back on also destroys their positioning. In that case they move just left of the address bar in the order in which they appear on the extensions preferences pane.

The toolbar setup is at least somewhat persistent across instances of Safari and boots, so it has to be stored to disk somewhere. I think I may see if I can find it and script some type of quick correct.

Safari Rearranging Toolbar Icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.