Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access iPad!

My son forgot the passcode for this iPad and kept trying different codes rather than asking me. Now his iPad is locked and says "iPad is disabled, connect to iTunes." I tried that, and, even though I've synced his device with iTunes before, iTunes is asking me to "respond from the device," before I can access it. Obviously I can't respond from a locked device.

The next thing I tried was to go into iCloud and erase the device (Really, Apple? If I can access my iCloud account to erase a device, there should also be an option to unlock a device!!!). I followed the instructions, and now iCloud says, "Erase Pending. This iPad will be erased when it connects to the Internet." How in the world am I supposed to connect it to the Internet?

So now I've followed every set of instructions I can find on Apple's website (or anywhere, for that matter), and nothing is working. Help!

iPad Mini

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 3:17 PM

5 replies

Aug 2, 2015 5:28 PM in response to Demo

Thank you for the help, but still no success. I've done this about 4-5 times now, and in the end, I still end up with the iPad saying "iPad is disabled, connect to iTunes." The hold/plug step works, and the iTunes symbol appears. iTunes doesn't open itself, but when I open it, it sees the device. I have to go through several steps to either Update or Restore (I've tried both), and it seems to be doing or downloading something, and then ????

Right now iTunes is saying, "To allow access, please respond on your iPad."

I'm feeling pretty disappointed in Apple right now. This should not be so complicated. As the mother of the device's owner, especially with a Family Share account, I should have more abilities and options as far as accessing and unlocking this account.

Aug 2, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Demo

Also, my device appears to not be turning off, even though I'm turning it off. But I just tried turning it off again (to try your recommended process again), and now there is nothing except the "Ipad is disabled, connect to iTunes" message. Before, it also said "No service" and showed the battery amount. Now there is nothing but the white words on a black screen, and I can't turn off the iPad.

Aug 3, 2015 3:49 AM in response to brunjesbiz

brunjesbiz wrote:

It finally worked. Thank you!

And that's why I said it may take a number of attempts to get it to work. I don't know that I would go this far before I made an appointment at an Apple Store to seek their help, but I read of one account where someone claimed that it took over 20+ attempts before recovery mode would work for them.

I'm glad to hear that the iPad is up and running for you again.

Can't access iPad!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.