Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer data from my old iMac to a new iMac

I have a 2011 iMac and I bought a new one. How do I transfer my user id and data to the new one and keep the other 2 users on the old? I do use time machine i'm not sure if I can pick and choose what I would like to transfer. And if its possible I have no idea how to do it. Thank you.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 4:38 PM

You'll be given the option of migrating your data from the old computer or your backup when setting up the new iMac. Choose to do so.

(131154)

2 replies

Aug 2, 2015 4:41 PM in response to J.grazier

Nothing to it, connect the Time Machine backup from the old computer to the new one. When you turn on the new one for the first time it will start Setup Assistant, part of SA asks if you are migrating from another Mac. Select Yes and follow the on-screen prompts and you're done.

Two things:

1. Connect the Time Machine drive via USB ONLY.

2. If you have already started the new machine, simply run Migration Assistant (Command + Spacebar and type Migration Assistant) and follow the on-screen prompts.

Its that easy! If you want to read more about it, please click How to move data to your new Mac using Mountain Lion and earlier - Apple Support

How to transfer data from my old iMac to a new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.