Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15-inch MacBook Pro Retina mid-2012 + Windows 8.1

I installed Windows 8.1 onto my Macbook Pro using Disk Utility instead of the BCA. I found some drivers here that were meant for my MacBook. However, when I ran the setup.exe inside the folder, the nvidia drivers cause my laptop to black-screen. I wasn't able to do anything and had to resort to using the "Reset my PC" option in the F8 menu right after booting Windows. What is causing this problem?

MacBook Pro 15" mid-2012

Core i7 2.4Ghz (I think?)

GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 8

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 6:07 PM

5 replies

Aug 2, 2015 6:17 PM in response to ryantrinh10

ryantrinh10 wrote:

I installed Windows 8.1 onto my Macbook Pro using Disk Utility instead of the BCA. I found some drivers here that were meant for my MacBook. However, when I ran the setup.exe inside the folder, the nvidia drivers cause my laptop to black-screen. I wasn't able to do anything and had to resort to using the "Reset my PC" option in the F8 menu right after booting Windows. What is causing this problem?

MacBook Pro 15" mid-2012

Core i7 2.4Ghz (I think?)

GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

If you use DU to build a partition, your Mac most likely executed an EFI installation of Windows, not BIOS. This causes many drivers not to work and BSODs are likely. The CSM-BIOS layer also does not expose the Intel GPU, but your installation does. There is now a conflict between the Intel and nVidia GPU.

What was the reasoning behind using DU and not BCA? This is the root cause of your issue.

Aug 2, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Loner T

Hi, thanks for responding!

We used Disk Utility instead of the BCA because whenever we used the BCA to create a partition, Windows kept giving me an error saying "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." What we did was use DU to create two different Mac OS Extended Journaled partitions and use the "New" function in the Win installation to make into NTFS.

I keep hearing the terms "EFI" and "CSM-BIOS" thrown around pretty frequently, could you explain the basic terms for a newbie haha?

Aug 2, 2015 6:44 PM in response to ryantrinh10

ryantrinh10 wrote:

We used Disk Utility instead of the BCA because whenever we used the BCA to create a partition, Windows kept giving me an error saying "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

1. You should not interrupt BC/Windows installation and use Alt/Option key to select EFI boot. It defeats the purpose of BCA. All Macs prior to Late 2013 are preUEFI and will not properly support EFI boot.

2. Once this happens, the error message you refer to occurs, and it is correct. BCA correctly determined that your machine is preUEFI, created an MBR, but intervention caused the first problem.

What we did was use DU to create two different Mac OS Extended Journaled partitions and use the "New" function in the Win installation to make into NTFS.

This will cause future OS X upgrades to potentially cause data loss. Your disk partitioning should now have an extra MSR partition. This also implies that BCA cannot be used to remove Windows.

I keep hearing the terms "EFI" and "CSM-BIOS" thrown around pretty frequently, could you explain the basic terms for a newbie haha?

UEFI 2.x is an Intel standard which addresses the limitations of the legacy BIOS system and is supported on GPT disks. It has a backward compatibility layer called CSM-BIOS (Compatibility Support Module) BIOS. This allows legacy OS installations on more modern hardware and is slower and has limitations.

Please see https://communities.intel.com/community/itpeernetwork/vproexpert/blog/2013/08/11 /understanding-amt-uefi-bios-and-secure-boot-relationships for a brief discussion.

Macs prior to Late 2013 have used EFI 1.1. To allow legacy Windows versions to be installed on Macs, Macs use CSM-BIOS to emulate older PCs and BIOS. This layer has no user interface unlike PCs. CSM-BIOS on Macs will hide/expose hardware as necessary at the appropriate lever (firmware/hardware) so device drivers appropriately. For example an integrated GPU with onboard Audio decoding will split the graphics and audio part and expose these as separate devices. If this is broken, GPUs may get exposed, which the OS cannot handle. Intel drivers do not know what to do with an nVidia GPU and vice-a-versa. If Windows does not appropriately handle dual-GPUs, it will crash.

You need to remove the current Windows installation, clean up your disk to a single user-visible partition (ignore EFI and Recovery HD which are hidden), and then use BCA and install using BIOS. Do not interrupt Windows installer under BCA and choose EFI boot.

Does this help better explain your issue?

Aug 2, 2015 7:27 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for all the time you've spent on this thread, I really appreciate it!

Okay, I know exactly how to erase and recombine all of the partitions. However, like I said before, when I try to install through BCA, I always get that "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks" error. It won't let me continue the installation and forces me back to square one :/

Do you know how to fix it?

15-inch MacBook Pro Retina mid-2012 + Windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.