Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dot_clean command to resolve Error 36

My external DVD drive keeps unmounting every time I try to copy home videos I made in the past with my PC to my Mac. Finder gives me error 36:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “FileName” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

After searching on the internet I found that the problem can be resolved by using command dot_clean.

I tried the following on the terminal (where Nov 27 2011 D is the name of the DVD I'm trying to copy) :

dot_clean /Volumes/Nov 27 2011 D

The result was a failure as below:

Failed trying to change dir to /Volumes/Nov

Bad Pathname: No such file or directory

Failed trying to change dir to 27

Failed trying to change dir to 2011

Failed trying to change dir to D

What's wrong here? Any advice?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 6:57 PM

7 replies

Aug 2, 2015 11:15 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I initially thought that it has something to do with compatibility between PC and Mac, although I don't think a DVD will be any different if created by a PC or a Mac.

That discussion you referred to is talking about a bad sector or a hardware failure but in my case that seems less likely because:

too many of my home video DVDs are giving the error (around 10 out of 30),

and because the same DVD and the same drive worked perfectly on my PC without any issues,

and because the external hard I'm copying to never gave me any errors on other occasions. (errors only with those DVDs I created with my PC)

Because of the three reasons above it seemed tempting to think of it as being a compatibility problem and that is why I'm trying the dot_clean commands. Any one can tell why it's not working with me?

Aug 2, 2015 11:44 PM in response to an1980

Standard disclaimer: if you are not absolutely certain what a certain Terminal command will do, don't do it. Have a backup plan in the event something unexpected occurs.

The reason that command is not working is that dot_clean is acting upon the argument "Nov". That file or directory does not exist. The remaining arguments (27, 2011, and D) are being passed individually, and as such make no sense to dot_clean. You are fortunate that using it did not result in corruption.

Having said that its applicability to your concern is questionable. Read the manpages to determine how to use it and verify whether it is really what you want to do.

Aug 3, 2015 5:41 AM in response to an1980

First - I agree with John Galt. You shouldn't run Terminal commands if you don't understand them.

I'll explain why it didn't work - a file or folder name with spaces can't be used like regular filenames. You must either use individual escape coding for each space (each space is entered as backslash space = "\ "), or, you can put quotes around the entire "path to file" to get Terminal to use as a folder/filename.

dot_clean command to resolve Error 36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.