Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac G5 isight won't start up

I have an iMac G5 isight late 2005 model that will not start up. It worked fine yesterday and was shut down normally but today it will not power up. When you push the power button nothing happens at all. I tried unplugging it and then holding down the power button for 10 seconds then plugging it back in but did not help. I researched several articles and it sounds like it could be a power supply or logic board. Any ideas on how I can find this out or will I need to take it to an Apple store? Running OS 10.4.11 but since it won't come on don't think that is anything to do with it.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 2:18 AM

it sounds like it could be a power supply or logic board

Yes, they would be the prime suspects. An Apple Centre won't touch it as it is officially obsolete. You could try to locate an authorised Apple Repair Centre who may have the necessary spares in stock - Apple won't supply them.

It may be time to invest in an Intel based iMac!

Apple has discontinued support for certain technologically obsolete and vintage products.

Vintage products are those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued hardware service for vintage products with the following exception:

Products purchased in the state of California, United States, as required by statute. Owners of these products may obtain service and parts from Apple Service Providers within the state of California, United States.

Obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.

All retail Apple Stores and the Canadian, European, Latin American and Asia-Pacific operating regions follow the U.S. product list, but make no distinction between vintage and obsolete. When applied to the retail Apple Stores and these operating regions, all products on the U.S. Vintage list are considered obsolete.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201624

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 2:18 AM in response to nkplt

it sounds like it could be a power supply or logic board

Yes, they would be the prime suspects. An Apple Centre won't touch it as it is officially obsolete. You could try to locate an authorised Apple Repair Centre who may have the necessary spares in stock - Apple won't supply them.

It may be time to invest in an Intel based iMac!

Apple has discontinued support for certain technologically obsolete and vintage products.

Vintage products are those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued hardware service for vintage products with the following exception:

Products purchased in the state of California, United States, as required by statute. Owners of these products may obtain service and parts from Apple Service Providers within the state of California, United States.

Obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.

All retail Apple Stores and the Canadian, European, Latin American and Asia-Pacific operating regions follow the U.S. product list, but make no distinction between vintage and obsolete. When applied to the retail Apple Stores and these operating regions, all products on the U.S. Vintage list are considered obsolete.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201624

Aug 3, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Klaus1

I actually have an intel iMac as well but this computer is the one my wife uses because she likes some of the classic programs and games not available when you upgrade. I also have some older software I use on this mac as well on occasion. I did locate a Authorized Apple service center that says he does still work on older macs so I might have him take a look at it and see what it would cost to repair. If it is too much then I will retrieve the hard drive and move on. I am disappointed to learn that Apple no longer supports macs after just 5 years old. That is not a good incentive to purchase a newer mac and find out after just 5 years it is no longer supported with parts or service. Too bad. I still own a G3 powermac but I have not used it in several years. Still worked when I quit using it!

Thanks again for the information.

imac G5 isight won't start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.