Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessibility Help

My son has ataxia and neurological impairment due to a TBI. Currently he uses the IPad both for games and as an augmentative communication device (with an app called touch chat). the problem he has is that he tends to press down too long on icons when he is trying to access a program he wants this causes all the icons to jiggle and then he will accidentally move them around (since he is a little shaky). Any way to change the sensitivity of what launches an icon so that won't happen as often? Any suggestions on this would be great. TIA.

iPad Air

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 5:08 PM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Eric Root

Add a restriction under settings> general> restrictions can disable deleting apps if that ever happens, but the jgiggling will still occur. If he only uses one app at a time have you tried guided acess? settings> general> acesessiblity> guided access . Another suggestion I have is to maybe place the communication app on on page and games on another. Maybe if the pages are less cluttered he will trigger the jiggling less. Also maybe a thick stylus would work well for him. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00555NQO2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creat ive=390957&creativeASIN=B00555NQO2&linkCode=as2&tag=otswiap-20&linkId=GORIASUGKU WXESCR

Aug 3, 2015 10:31 AM in response to anna_nj

I just played around with some of the settings on my phone, I went to settings> general> accessibility> Homes click speed. I changed that from the default to slowest (it also changes the double click speed) and it appears to have let open the app in the time that it used to take to jiggle. I'm not sure if this is an illusion I am seeing, but it may be worth a try. Apple also has a phone number just for people who use accessibility features. If you give them a call they man have some ideas as well. https://www.apple.com/support/accessibility/contact/

Aug 3, 2015 11:35 AM in response to AJ397

I have already disabled deleting apps.

He likes to play various different apps so I don't see how guided access would help him.

I have tried arranging the icons

he does have a stylus but it still happens and plus he is six and will sometimes forget the stylus. It would be easier if i could just disable the jiggling...

Accessibility Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.