Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unknown browser that imitates Safari 7.1.7 message ?

Browser suddenly does not list ‘google searches’ in History. Did HTML5test and received message>

You are using an unknown browser that imitates Safari 7.1.7 on OS X Mavericks 10.9

what’s going on, thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 9:20 AM

You are using Safari?

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Reset Safari. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 9:20 AM in response to mouseonmoon

You are using Safari?

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Reset Safari. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Aug 3, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric thanks, that's helpful, but it seems my post is a bit unclear - and I don't want to go through the 'reset' if I can avoid it.

The problem is not that none of the google History shows up- it does, everything except the actual 'google search topics found' - the sites i visit are listed-except I can't go back to the original 'subject search' ? And I would like to know if the message about "unknown browser" might be the cause > as in being 'hacked/ or taken over' --is that possible ??

using Safari 7.1.7

Aug 3, 2015 1:32 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, added "Develop" and curiously "User Agent" was all 'shadowed',

tried 'Web inspector' and later came back to "User Agent" which was then functioning and "Default " was chosen.

For the record - after I visit sites I am able to back click to the original 'google search' - but it does not show up in History, and this glitch started Aug 1.

I can find previous gooogle searches in History- odd and inconvient

Maybe this is coming from attempts to fix the iTunes update that crashes GB ?

or sumfin 2do with Lex's offering ?

thanks,

m

unknown browser that imitates Safari 7.1.7 message ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.