Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dual band not working properly

Issues with new Airport Time Capsule (fifth generation) Received in exchange on June 26, 2015 for one bought in October.

Running Software Version 7.7.3 All Macs running Yosemite. All iOS running iOS 8.4. None of my household non-Apple WiFi equipment have been connecting since I got this fifth generation Time Capsule back in October. Most of them state they can only connect to 2.4GHz band. I hoped swapping it in June would clear this up.

I install the Time Capsule and create WiFi network named MCBWiFi2.4GHz. Enable guest network and named it MCBGuestWiFi. Enabled 5GHz WiFi network and name MCBWiFi5GHz. The 5 GHz network is not hidden, both channels are set to automatic, and all networks using WPA/WPA2 Wireless Security. iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs all can connect, but no other non-Apple equipment can connect.

DHCP Reservations for some equipment:

Synology 10.0.1.152

Nest 10.0.1.154 --using Wifi, along with Nest Protect (smoke detectors)

DLink Cam 10.0.1.156

Canary (security camera and house monitor) uses WiFi.

The Nest thermostat cannot connect. It sees only the Guest network, but can never finish the connection. I even tried making the password one letter. SkyBell doorbell cannot connect either. The DLink Cam can only connect using an ethernet cable. This was just purchased (two weeks ago) and has never connected on WiFi. The Canary did work on WiFi for a bit, but then stopped connecting when they sent their last firmware update.

WiFi Menu Monitor on my Mac mini (20 inches away from the TC) shows that all networks are up and running, and can be seen by the Mac mini when running WiFi.

From my MacBook Pro laptop in the other room (25 feet away - can see router from the location) Wireless Diagnostics scan report shows MCBWiFi2.4 5GHz, MCBGuest shows, but only as 5GHz band. MCBWiFi2.4GHz doesn’t show up at all.

Back to Airport Utility on Mac mini, turn off 5GHz network.The WiFi monitor in menu bar now shows MCBWiFi2.4GHz, and the Guest network.

Back to the MacBook Pro laptop, wireless diagnostics scan report shows MCBWiFi2.4GHz at 5Ghz band (it should be off.) Scans were done multiple times to clear cache, and quitting and restarting Wireless Diagnostic app. MCBGuestWiFi shows both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, even though 5Ghz band is off. Scan once again (with no changes), and now both MCBGuestWiFI and MCBWiFi2.4GHz are only showing but at the 5GHz band only.

Go back to Mac mini, turn off new Time Capsule, set up old Time Capsule (fourth generation). Similar settings as the first setup, but no 802.11ac protocol:

MCBWireless2.4GHz

MCBGuest

MCBWireless5GHz

Back on Macbook Pro, Wifi Monitor on menubar shows all three WiFi networks. Running wireless diagnostic scan from the laptop shows I have a Guest at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and a regular WiFi at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (with separate names.)

Nest Thermostat connects on the first attempt to MCBWireless2.4GHz, as do all of the other devices.

So - heading to Apple with a printout of all of the above with screenshots and the new TC to see if anyone at my store can determine what is going on. Anyone here have any clues they'd like to share? I really want the ac speeds (it's really nice for all the iPhones and iPads) but I need the doorbell so I get an alert while I'm at work that someone came to the house, along with my Canary camera alerts.

Thanks! Oh - and the lesson here is to try searching for Wireless Diagnostics. The scan report helped me isolate and gather all this information.

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 7:18 PM

There are no replies.

dual band not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.