Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up the 3TB Time Capsule

The instructions for setting up the 3TB time capsule call for the creation of a new network. Does this mean a new WiFi network? I currently have a WiFi network in the house. I also have a Porsche LaCie 2TB external HD which has been acting up and want to possible eliminate it and use the 3TB TC as a replacement.

To add a level of confusion, I also have a separate Netgear N300 wireless router and a Motorola Surfboard eXtreme cable modem. My question(s), is there a simple method to hook up my new 3TB TC to this network or do I create a whole new WiFi network and eliminate some of my current hardware?

Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), null

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 7:27 PM

8 replies

Aug 2, 2015 8:06 PM in response to Coop3842

Motorola Surfboard eXtreme cable modem.

What model is this?

The apple routers are not happy with SB6121 or SB6141 or some of the modem router models as well.

However you can try plugging the TC directly into the modem by ethernet LAN to WAN TC.. and run the setup wizard in the airport utility. If you have issues.. put the netgear back into play and plug the TC into that.. it will work fine then in bridge and create a wireless network.. you can either run both wireless networks or turn off the netgear one.. that is totally up to you..

Aug 3, 2015 2:47 AM in response to Coop3842

What is it that you want to do on your network?

Is it that you want to have everything continue to work "as is" right now, and simply add your Time Capsule to function as a back up hard drive?

or

Do you want the Time Capsule to provide a wireless network and back up function....and you then plan to turn off the wireless on the Negear router?

or

Do you want both the Time Capsule and your Netgear router to provide wireless networks while the Time Capsule also functions as a back up hard drive?

Aug 3, 2015 5:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob:

Thanks for the response. Your questions raise some issues that I am not qualified to answer.

My current WiFi setup functions well as is. My Porsche CaCie backup however has a questionable reliability issue. That said, I purchased the 3TB Time Capsule as a new backup. Reading the setup doc. I realize that the Time Capsule can be used as a Wireless WiFi network as well as a wireless backup. There lies my dilemma. I have no qualms about changing my setup to simplify matter if that's the best approach. So, I am open to any and all suggestions on the best setup method for a new? wireless WiFi/backup network. Hope this is clear.

I appreciate any help.

Aug 4, 2015 8:39 PM in response to Coop3842

I assume that the Time Capsule is still new, with factory default settings.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Netgear router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Click the WiFi icon a the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Time Capsule under the listing of New AirPort Base Station

That will get the setup "wizard" running. It will take a minute to analyze the network, then display a window that looks like this, except that you will see a Time Capsule on your screen

User uploaded file

Network Name..............Type in a short simple name that you want to call the wireless network

Base Station.................Type in a name that you want to call the Time Capsule

Password......................Type in a password that will be used for both the wireless and base station

Verify............................Type in the password again to confirm

Click Next

The wizard will set up everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done and close the AirPort Utility window.

That's it. Now you should be able to select the name of the network that you named and enter the password to connect.

Setting up the 3TB Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.