Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

libreoffice vs. neooffice

I have both libreoffice and neooffice installed on my system.

Two sets of questions:

1. I must have installed libreoffice second because all office files are opening in libreoffice. I've used neooffice for a longer period of time. How can I restore the old behavior of office files being opened in neooffice?

2. What are the differences in behavior between neoofice and libreoffice? Might I want to keep using libreoffice as the default program for handling office files?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 5:56 AM

Select a file that is being opened with Lireoffice

Finder -> File -> Get Info -> Open with:

Use the "Open with" pop-up to find NeoOffice (if necessary choose "Other") and make NeoOffice the default app that opens "This" file.

Click on "Change All...", and now all files of this "type" will be opened with NeoOffice.

I'm not sure what the differences are. They both came from the same OpenOffice starting point years ago. NeoOffice was an explicit Mac OS X port. Eventually OpenOffice got its own port to Mac OS X, which cut back on the need for NeoOffice.

LibreOffice forked from OpenOffice with Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems. Because this occurred after OpenOffice had a Mac OS X port, LibreOffice also has a Mac OS X port.

I think there is more open source development work happening with LibreOffice these days, but I have not really been paying all that much attention to any of these 3 office apps, so my information could be wrong.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 5:56 AM in response to stirling-dad

Select a file that is being opened with Lireoffice

Finder -> File -> Get Info -> Open with:

Use the "Open with" pop-up to find NeoOffice (if necessary choose "Other") and make NeoOffice the default app that opens "This" file.

Click on "Change All...", and now all files of this "type" will be opened with NeoOffice.

I'm not sure what the differences are. They both came from the same OpenOffice starting point years ago. NeoOffice was an explicit Mac OS X port. Eventually OpenOffice got its own port to Mac OS X, which cut back on the need for NeoOffice.

LibreOffice forked from OpenOffice with Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems. Because this occurred after OpenOffice had a Mac OS X port, LibreOffice also has a Mac OS X port.

I think there is more open source development work happening with LibreOffice these days, but I have not really been paying all that much attention to any of these 3 office apps, so my information could be wrong.

libreoffice vs. neooffice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.