Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup Failed

Hi

I am using a Mac Air Mid 2011 with Yosemite.

My time machine has been great but has not been backing up for a while now.

User uploaded file

I have also used the time machine as a data dump / storage disk, and whilst I could move the 300GB to a cloud drive and start over again, i really don't want to.

Here's the issue:

I was under the impression that I had erroneously deleted my backup file from the Time Machine.

However I have discovered MYNAME MacBook Air (2).sparsebundle file.

Am I able to restore this, or alternatively could I start a new back up file and start from now? I've not lost anything so starting again is not a problem for me.

The console log shows:

8/3/15 00:19:27.599 com.apple.backupd[1323]: Starting manual backup

8/3/15 00:19:27.710 com.apple.backupd[1323]: Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Data-2

8/3/15 00:19:36.771 mdworker[1295]: (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

8/3/15 00:19:36.772 mdworker[1308]: (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

8/3/15 00:19:36.772 mdworker[1307]: (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

8/3/15 00:19:36.775 mdworker[1309]: (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

8/3/15 00:19:36.777 mdworker[1302]: (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

8/3/15 00:19:52.112 com.apple.backupd[1323]: Failed to eject volume /Volumes/Data-2 (FSVolumeRefNum: -112; status: -47; dissenting pid: 0)

8/3/15 00:19:52.113 com.apple.backupd[1323]: Waiting 60 seconds and trying again.

8/3/15 00:20:39.431 mds[59]: (Volume.Normal:2464) volume:0x7ffafc087000 ********** Bootstrapped Creating a default store:0 SpotLoc:(null) SpotVerLoc:(null) occlude:0 /Volumes/Data-2

8/3/15 00:20:57.112 com.apple.backupd[1323]: Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Data-2

8/3/15 00:21:06.131 mdworker[1331]: (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

8/3/15 00:21:11.250 mdworker[1337]: (ImportBailout.Error:1325) Asked to exit for Diskarb

8/3/15 00:21:21.464 com.apple.backupd[1323]: Failed to eject volume /Volumes/Data-2 (FSVolumeRefNum: -112; status: -47; dissenting pid: 0)

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Time Machine 3TB

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:28 PM

There are a couple of issues..

1. Yosemite ghosts itself to the network and so changes the share name on the computer.. go into preferences and change the share name of the computer back to your original name.

2. TM has issues when it cannot mount the backup .. you possibly need to delete an inprogress file as well as reboot the TC to ensure it is dismounted.

See A10 here.. delete the inprogress file.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 11:28 PM in response to nickn1972

There are a couple of issues..

1. Yosemite ghosts itself to the network and so changes the share name on the computer.. go into preferences and change the share name of the computer back to your original name.

2. TM has issues when it cannot mount the backup .. you possibly need to delete an inprogress file as well as reboot the TC to ensure it is dismounted.

See A10 here.. delete the inprogress file.

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Aug 3, 2015 5:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you so much! That's almost the perfect answer!

However...

I clearly have deleted something as I do not have the file Backups.backupdb.

I have a sparsebundle file.

When clicking the sparsbundle file I get the below error message:

User uploaded file

Should I delete that and try to start a totally new Backups.backupdb?

If so how?

If not any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help.

Aug 3, 2015 1:57 PM in response to nickn1972

The backups.backupdb is inside the sparsebundle.. if that won't mount then you are in trouble.

I suggest you do the full treatment of your Time Capsule.. (please try and use TC for hardware.. Time Capsule.. and TM for Time Machine.. ie the software in the computer).

Since Yosemite is so buggy at least the following is necessary.. but do forgive the wall of text.

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 for basestation and TCwifi wireless name.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.

Ensure the TC always takes the same IP address.. you will need to do this on the main router using dhcp reservation.. or a bit more complex setup using static IP in the TC. But this is important.. having IP drift all over the place when Yosemite cannot remember its own name for 5 min after a reboot makes for poor networking.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

5. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

6. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet if you use it.

User uploaded file

If your TC is used as main router also turn of IPv6 block in Network options.

User uploaded file

This is a new addition to standard instruction set.. it worked for one person.

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

You might need to do some more work on the computer itself. eg Reset the PRAM.. has helped some people. Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

Tell us how you go.

Someone posted a solution.. See this thread.

Macbook can't find Time Capsule anymore

Start from the bottom and work up.. I have a list of good network practice changes but I have avoided Yosemites bug heaven.

Yosemite has serious DNS bug in the networking application.. here is the lets say more arcane method of fixing it by doing a network transplant from mavericks.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

Tell me how you go.. good luck.

Aug 3, 2015 2:11 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you! Your kindness in sharing your knowledge is incredible.

I somewhat impatiently read up this afternoon and realized that as I was ok to lose any existing backups I simply deleted the sparsebundle file (keeping a copy locally).

Currently it's 30Gb thru a 240Gb back up. If that doesn't solve it then I will follow the above.

To be clear on my reading of your reply, resetting the TC by powering off and holding reset does not delete files, and would therefore effectively reset the relationship between my Mac Air, the network, and the TC. Then I could 'start over' from there.

Looking thru the instructions they seem ideal if i am having trouble connecting to TC with TM. It's not that per se, it's more that there were conflicts once connected that prevented back up progressing. Fingers crossed this seems ok.

If this solves, then we're golden! then it'll be onto the weirdest mac issue i have heard of and I don't even know where to post it.... Where do you suggest i post a keyboard issue where my top row of qwerty goes intermittently dead / non responsive except for letter P. Then works fine. There's no physical issue, and it appears that if I flood the keyboard buffer it then comes back. That of course is my noob logic. Anyway... suggestions on this one welcome and I will start a new thread in the right place...

Aug 3, 2015 2:23 PM in response to nickn1972

I was thinking that the MBA was having issues mounting the backup.. as that was the error you posted.. mounting the backup has to do with networking.. and the failure that might cause a stuck inprogress file is also caused by network issues.. nevertheless if you were prepared to wipe and start over that is better than messing around with it.

Where do you suggest i post a keyboard issue where my top row of qwerty goes intermittently dead

It is a new one to me.. dead keyboard is standard.. you just get it replaced.. especially if liquid is spilled on them.. keyboards are dead the moment liquid touches it. But for it to come back to life.. sounds like poor contacts in the connecting cable.

it appears that if I flood the keyboard buffer it then comes back.

uber weird..

Have you reset the PRAM and SMC?

Did you upgrade install the OS.. ?

From your side they are about all you can do.. otherwise it is faulty and will have to be returned for repairs..

Is it under warranty or applecare?? If so I would not mess around .. take it back and let apple fix it.

Of course do a full backup before you do that.. and I would suggest not just a TM backup but do a clone of the hard disk.. you can do this via disk utility or even better download and use Carbon Copy Cloner.. it is free for the first month anyway.. make a bootable clone of your laptop and let apple go to work on it..

Aug 3, 2015 2:31 PM in response to LaPastenague

:-) re the backup - we shall see in about 6 hours....

i No longer make any assumptions to the positive til the fat lady sings...

re keyboard - it's a Mac air so near impossible to repair, without entering a realm of cost approaching new machine.

i Took it to Genius Bar and they couldn't see any physical issue w keyboard not any hardware issues, and of course it's not easily repeatable and doesn't seem to log anything in console log when it happens. It is as you say uber weird.

I guess a hardware thread thread of some kind will present itself. :-)

thank you again for your kind help.

Time Machine Backup Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.