Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can I do with my macbook pro stock for over 2 hours on 10.10 upgrade

What can I do with my macbook pro stock for over 2 hours on 10.10 upgrade half way bar?

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:09 PM

1 reply

Aug 3, 2015 12:40 AM in response to pierr23

The progress-status bar and the kind or type of connection to the internet to download

large OS X update or upgrade files, can not only be slower than expected, but in error.

To watch what’s going on behind the scenes, use Command+L to bring up the installation log, to

show exactly what’s being transferred or copied, rather than relying on the inaccurate status bar.

If you are using wi-fi and airport to download updates, the better choice for efficient use of time

usually is a connection via Ethernet cable instead, as it can be at least 3x faster than wi-fi.

Usually the suggestion is to wait-it-out, when the download and installation lags and appears to

take an extra or unexpectedly long period of time to complete. A regular update, if you chose

to get the latest Combo update and not a smaller file, could take significantly longer. The fuller

Combo update has more content.

Some users had been anxious and thought to interrupt the download, but it's best if you don't.

If it does get cut off due to internet issue, the download may be resumed, and should be OK.

An update or upgrade relying on the internet can take a lot of time, and it's best to always be

sure the computer drive has the needed free space to accept the update or upgrade; so a

backup of your works in an external archive or backup second hard drive, is recommended

as is a drive for Time Machine backups, in addition to your own. This helps when restoring

the computer at some point without internet access, and for files not saved to Cloud storage.

If you Pause a download it can be resumed in the App Store; if you Cancel, you'd need to start over.

Good luck in any event...! 🙂

What can I do with my macbook pro stock for over 2 hours on 10.10 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.