Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need the usb to run windows every time? and if i do, can i take the usb out while i am not running windows and plug it back in when i need windows?

do i need the usb to run windows every time? and if i do, can i take the usb out while i am not running windows and plug it back in when i need windows?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2015 11:22 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

What USB are you talking about?

When you are using Boot Camp, the only time you need a USB drive is to install Windows, so your USB should have the Windows installer and the Boot Camp drivers inside. After installing Windows, just unplug the USB drive because you will not need it anymore.

josem15 wrote:

and if i do, can i take the usb out while i am not running windows and plug it back in when i need windows?

You can unplug the USB drive after installing Windows (it does not matter whether you are running Windows or not).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2015 11:22 PM in response to josem15

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

What USB are you talking about?

When you are using Boot Camp, the only time you need a USB drive is to install Windows, so your USB should have the Windows installer and the Boot Camp drivers inside. After installing Windows, just unplug the USB drive because you will not need it anymore.

josem15 wrote:

and if i do, can i take the usb out while i am not running windows and plug it back in when i need windows?

You can unplug the USB drive after installing Windows (it does not matter whether you are running Windows or not).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.