Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband won't install basic content

Hello community,

My Garageband app on Mac tells me it needs to download basic content. So I allow it to download, but nothing happens (there is no progress in the download bar) and after a minute or so, an error message appears asking me to close the application and start it up again to try again. I have done this several times but it won't work.

I did some research and found things about Garageband '11 (v6.05) but I don't get what that is and what I need to install, or delete and reinstall to get my Garageband to work.

Thank you and I appreciate any helpful reply,

Shaynidw.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Mid 2015 Version

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 3:30 AM

Which version of GarageBand do you have? GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5 or the newer GarageBand 10.0?

Do you have any firewalls installed, that could be blocking the connection to the AppStore, like Kapersky or Little Snitch? If yes, disable them temporarily.

Test the connection to the AppStore by trying to buy a free application.

You could also try to download after restarting your Mac in Safe mode. That will disable non-standard system extensions, see: Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 3:30 AM in response to shaynidw

Which version of GarageBand do you have? GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5 or the newer GarageBand 10.0?

Do you have any firewalls installed, that could be blocking the connection to the AppStore, like Kapersky or Little Snitch? If yes, disable them temporarily.

Test the connection to the AppStore by trying to buy a free application.

You could also try to download after restarting your Mac in Safe mode. That will disable non-standard system extensions, see: Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Garageband won't install basic content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.